Chapter Eleven

The smell of coffee and sandwiches masked the street, causing the lonely street to liven up a bit. Even though there was no one around, the street felt so crowded and busy.

"So, how do you know this place so well?" I asked, trying to get some small talk going.

Mickie looked over at me with a childish grin and replied, "I take the train all the time." We made our way along the sidewalk, even though there were no cars or people on the actual street itself. "I don't own a car or anything like that. I prefer trains."

I could understand that. I definitely didn't get train sick, and I enjoyed the freedom of being able to do whatever while waiting, but it seemed like a riding a train would get expensive and bothersome. Plus, if she had so much money as to buy herself a nice jacket and Uggs, she definitely had money to buy herself at least a decent car.

Suddenly, I remembered something about this Tyson. I remembered that I did have a nice home. I had an apartment in a city a while's away. I did not have a car either, but I worked a few buildings away from my apartment building. I couldn't recall what my job was, but I knew that I had one and that I made a lot of money. I also knew that I lived by myself and didn't have too many friends. My apartment was big enough for me, and possibly a pet, but I took up all of the extra room with more electronics and furniture. I had a very nice kitchen and living room, and my room was very stylish. I was far from home, though.

"I can imagine that whatever you need to do so much traveling for is very important."

Mickie frowned and didn't answer. Perhaps I was hitting the sensitive spot she was showing while hugging me earlier, but whatever it was wasn't an enigma to me. I knew how it felt to hide a dirty, little secret. I knew how it felt to feel guilty, to have something weighing my shoulders down, and to feel completely ashamed of my choices. Whatever she was feeling was probably something I had experienced before, but I wouldn't offer help until she asked for it.

I continued, "I live a life where nothing seems important anymore. I move around so much that people have lost meaning to me. I make friends and then lose them."

We both walked into a cafe at the same time, opening doors that were side by side.

The exterior of the cafe was quite like the rest of the town. The building was dull, but cute and old school. It was almost as if we were on the set of a movie, but this was all real. I could smell the food and plants.

The inside of the cafe was even more elegant than the outside. There was a short wall that separated the walkway from the door to the sitting area of the cafe. The coffee was made directly in front of the entrance and the seating was off to the side. The theme for the cafe seemed to be something along the lines of "fancy" or "delicate". Whatever it was supposed to be matched Mickie, and I liked it.

The menu was a bit aggressive, in all honesty. The menu hung on the wall in three sections. There were all types of drinks, and only drinks. The food was displayed on both sides of the cash register area.

"I can buy us some coffee if you'd like. Anything specific you want?" She asked, looking over at me with a lingering frown that haunted me like The Ghost of Christmas Past. Even though her voice was soft and sweet, her face could make any puppy sad.

I took a good look at the menu. There were normal drinks on one section, fancy things on another, and their specialties on the last one. I decided to get a specialty and settled on a raspberry, white chocolate mocha. Mickie said it was a good choice, and that she had that drink countless times, but she ordered herself something very strange sounding while I looked around at the interior design of the building.

Mickie paid for the drinks and handed me mine when it was ready. The drinks were in nice looking cups. The cups were colored a light blue and very much complimented the color scheme of the building. We both moved over to sit at a small table and started drinking our coffee.