Chapter Eight

When I realized there was no chance I was going to get a wink of sleep, my mind wondered where Giles was. It had been an hour since lights out, and he was still gone. I missed him, since he was my only friend in prison (Angelica is more of a trophy or goal), and I was very curious as to where he had roamed off.

I got up from the low bed and took one final look around the empty room before looking through the vent at the top of the door. The vent was just a few slits in the door for air, since the whole room was sealed beside the door. I could see nothing on the other side of the door, but it was very dark.

The darkness was like liquid. It dripped down over my eyes and made me blind.

I opened the door a crack. The doors were unlocked, surprisingly, and there was nothing and no one on the other side either. Aside from the occasional snore and sniffle, no one was around. It made me question the security of the building.

My main target was to find Giles, but I suddenly realized that this could mean other things. I had no intentions of escaping whatsoever, but there were other freedoms that came with freedom. In fact, freedom just leads to more and more freedoms.

I waltzed down the hall. I did not run or sneak. My eyes happened to wander to each room that I passed. I could see into the rooms through the vents if I got on my tiptoes, but I only glanced into the rooms I knew. I saw Jesse and his friends asleep in a group of rooms. I could see why they were friends. They were always surrounded by each other.

Eventually, I passed the office areas. The prison guards seemed to be eating in one room, but I kept my head low to pass. Then, I passed by Angelica's office. She was no longer there, and she was probably at home already. Her office was quite large, and I assumed she had a very good job.

She wanted to be a teacher when I knew her well. She always took school as best as she could, but I feel that she only wanted to be a teacher to make a difference in people's lives. It was almost as if she valued her pride so much that she wanted it to be visible in modern society. I suppose she was a fairly motherly figure, as well as Kimber, though.

I made my way to one end of the large hallway before making my way back. I heard a few shuffles and jingles on the opposite side of the hallway where the cafeteria was. The sounds were similar to the crashing of pans against each other, but this was a different sound. My feet raced along the floor when I recognized the sound.

It was a long trip to the tables and kitchen, even while running. I felt sweat on my forehead and mopped it with my hair when I stopped running. I heard struggling in the kitchen, but it was quickly migrating towards the hallway. I stood; waiting was my test of patience.
Diamond tripped out of the doors from the kitchen and limped over to me. She still had her uniform on, but it was blotched with blood here and there. There was a look of horror on her face, but she was clearly ready to run farther to escape.

She ran into my arms and hugged me. I did not hug back. When she let go, she looked up at me and smiled. "Help me get somewhere safe."
I nodded and grabbed her hand. We started running back to the offices, but I heard feet running behind us. The footsteps were gaining on us quickly, but I didn't dare to look back, for I knew what was behind us.

I trusted him.

Eventually, my feet ached too much. My hands were so sweaty that my grip would slip free at any moment, but I kept going until I physically could no more.

Diamond stopped me when we got to the general area where all the inmates slept. We were so close to getting to my cell, but Giles caught us. He pounced on Diamond so roughly that she was knocked into me while falling, and we turned into a ball of violence and protection.