Chapter Nine

I passed Angelica on my way to see Dr. Johnson. She looked quite attractive that day, but I still wasn't used to seeing such vibrant colors on her. She looked good in red.

I made it to my therapist's office. She was dealing with Jesse, and he stopped me right as he was leaving. He pressed his hand against my chest, pushing me back until Johnson wouldn't be able to hear us. He leaned forward and glared down at me. I tried to shimmy back, but he had a strong hold.

"I heard about Diamond, and boy do I have information on her and Giles. They both lied, and I really think you'll want to work with me when I kill that son of a bitch."

My eyes widened at the idea of murder, but it was such a distant taboo that I was almost considering agreeing to his terms. Even though Giles was a huge idiot, and not to mention crazy, he was still human. Even if he were a wolf, I wouldn't kill him. I lived by the standard that everyone deserved a second chance. Maybe not third chances, but Giles showed signs of improvement. Even this morning, he was fairly confused and sorry about what he did.

I shook my head in response to his command. Even though I wasn't nearly as strong as he was, I was willing to fight for what I believed in: freedom and peace. "I refuse to kill Giles on account of his impulse decision. He was confused and sorry this morning."

Jesse wasn't buying any of this, but he did let go of me and let me straighten out my jacket. My expression went from brave to understanding. He wasn't going to hurt me or even fight me. I could tell in his emerald green eyes that he was trying to do me a favor.

"Even if I did want Giles dead, why would you help me?" I added on, trying to get some information. For once, I want to get a solid answer. Then again, I shouldn't be talking.
He shrugged and rested his back against the wall. The door to Johnson's office was a few feet to his right on my side, and he wasn't so bothered by the fact that she might've heard us. "You know, I used to be friends with Giles. Not good friends, since he has the mindset of a twelve year old, but he was a good guy to befriend and then blame for everything. He's crazy. Like, there's a reason he rooms with you. I wouldn't mind to see that dumbass dead. He deserves whatever's coming to him."

I thought that his offer was a lot less selfish then. I saw past Jesse's intimidating beard, numerous tattoos, and firm facial features to see that he was trying to be friendly. I hope he was being friendly in a good way, and not like he was to Giles, but it seemed like there was some change in the air.

Maybe it was time for me to man up. I wanted people to see past my dark clothing, black hair, and insomnia, but no one ever did. There was a good chance I wouldn't take his offer, but I wanted to at least acknowledge it. I would think about it, that's for sure.

"I'll consider it. I'll come back to you after I talk to Johnson. I won't tell her though, obviously."
He nodded and patted me on the shoulder with a large hand. I managed a fake smile and watched him walk away cautiously. He watched me walk into Johnson's room ever so slowly. I nodded goodbye to him and then the same to my therapist.
*
Dr. Johnson greeted me warmly. Her pine smell was still so dominant and soothing that when she hugged me I didn't want to let go. I ended up giving her a very sad and tired look. She told me to sit down and tell me what upset me so much.

"Well, I'm gonna be completely honest, I'm sad about Diamond." That was only a bit of the truth, but at least I wasn't completely lying.
Johnson nodded and sighed. She didn't seem to show much of an emotional reaction to the mention of a dead employee, but she still tried to empathize. "Yes, it's quite a shame. Gertrude was a hard worker. She always came to work on time, and she never complained about anything. Quite the warrior she was, but I suppose she lost it in the end."

My throat burned with the unspoken words that I had to croak down. I wanted to scream at the top of my lungs, "It wasn't her! Giles tried to kill her!" Instead, I itched one of my wounds and tried to hide it as best as I could. No one knew that I was a witness yet, which was quite funny in my eyes. The guards all saw me.
I grinned and cracked my knuckles casually. "Yeah, she was the best: the only source of happiness and freedom I felt here. She was so nice. She reminded me of one of my of one of my old friends."