Chapter Six

"Write a letter to my father if you wish and I will make sure that it gets to him and no one else sees it" Cleopatra said, standing behind me as I sat at my writing desk.

"How will you possibly do that?" I questioned.

Cleopatra laughed "I have my resources, Ife."

I smiled.

I dipped the quill in ink and I started to write.

My dearest Love, True Pharaoh of Egypt,

I wish that you were here, I miss you very much. Cleopatra, Arisone and I were forced to swear loyalty to those traitorous harlots for fear of what would happen if we did not. I treasure the gowns and jewels that you gave me for I know not how long I will have them until the Queens might take them from me. I have some very blessed news, I am going to have a child, and you, the Pharaoh, are the father. I hope that you are overjoyed by this as I am, my Lord. I pray daily for your safe return and for the good of Egypt. I do wish that we will see each other soon, I am missing my heart, for you have it.

All my love,

Your Ife

I put my quill down and wrapped the papyrus scroll up. I handed it to Cleopatra and she smiled at me.

"Expect a reply a week from now or so" she said.

I nodded, Arisone came in the room, I immediately stood up and bowed.

"Dear Ife, I wish to speak with you" Arisone said.

I nodded. I followed her to the lush gardens of the palace.

"Yes? What is it, Arisone?" I asked softly as we sat on the marble bench.

"I wished to speak with you alone because I could not let Cleopatra see that I am the emotionally weaker sister. She trusts me not. I put on the false mask of calmness and poise but I am worried for my father and what will become of us. They can have us executed or poisoned any time, my stomach is uneasy all hours of the day and the only relief I get is when I sleep, when I do." she said.

"Oh Arisone. You poor child." I said wrapping my arm around her.

Being only fourteen years old and being separated from your father must've been absolutely heart wrenching.

"Please, don't feel sorry for me," Arisone said softly.

I released her from the soft grip of my hand and looked longingly at the ocean.

"Cleopatra and I wish to go there as well but they refuse to let us go out anywhere." She said.

We went back into my chambers where Cleopatra was reading on the rug.

"A messenger came with a letter addressed to you Ife, I instructed him to place it on your bed." Cleopatra said.

I nodded and went to pick it up, it had the Royal seal on it.

"It is from the Queens" I said begrudgingly.

"Then it cannot be good" Arisone snapped.

I opened it and began reading aloud.

Ife,

You are hereby stripped of all your titles given to you by Aulutes. The only title you shall retain is the Lady Of Isis. Merciful Queens Trypheana and Bernice will grant you access to your current chambers. Your demotion in status now allows you one maid of your choosing. The rest of your servants will be placed in either of the Queen's households.

"N-No" I said, tears forming in my eyes.

"You have two close maids" Arisone said.

I summoned Neva and Badra, they read the letter.

"This is outrageous!" Neva screamed.

"Can't you do something about this?" Badra asked the princesses.

The princesses shook their heads no.

"My dear Neva and Badra, I make this decision with grief and regret that this is how it will be from now on. Neva, you are my sister. Badra, you are my daughter. Badra is far too young to be subjected to the tyranny of those monsters so she shall be staying with me. Neva, you are older and wiser. You will be able to retain your mental state." I said.

Neva nodded, "I would do the same" She replied.

Neva packed up her things, gave me and Badra a hug then went off to the Queen's chambers. An hour later, some servants came by to collect my gifts. After I had given them all I had, I only had six gowns, and one pair of slippers to my name. The only valuable things I had was a diamond necklace from my mother, and a golden mirror decorated with pearls my brother had made for me as a goodbye present.

I started crying, Cleopatra and Arisone started comforting me.

"It will be okay" they whispered.

But it wouldn't be, and not for a long time.