Chapter Twenty-Four

I awoke to see Selene, Cliao, Neva, and Badra hovering over me. I jumped.

"What?" I asked quickly.

"Bernice found out that we went to see you.....You're not safe here in Egypt anymore, Ife. Not even your status as a Lady Of Isis can save you now." Neva and Badra said sadly.

"We're sending you to Rome, it'll be at least three months voyage, but it's the only way you'll be alive." Selenë said softly.

"What? This doesn't make any sense..." I said.

"Someone tipped Bernice off that you were hiding out here, we have no idea whom, but I think it was one of the servant girls." Selene said.

"Where will I be staying?" I asked Selene.

"Marcus Julius and Octavia Julius's home. Marcus is an ambassador to Egypt for Rome. He is in full support of his majesty the Pharaoh. I sent word to him this morning that you will be coming." She explained.

"When am I leaving?" I asked.

"Neva and Badra are coming with you since Bernice wants them executed as well because they are being accused of treason for running away and coming to see you" She added.

"The little wench!" I hissed in anger.

"But you and the girls are leaving at the crack of dawn tomorrow so I would suggest getting back to sleep." Selene said gently.

Selene left the room so it was just I alone, and my thoughts.

The next morning approached rapidly. Today was the day I would leave my home country for the first time in my life. I nodded approvingly as the servants finished packing the little things that I had into a chest that I would take with me to Rome.

"Thank you. That is all I will need" I said, dismissing them.

They nodded to me and bowed as they walked out of my room. I walked over to my night table and picked up my mirror that my brother gave me, for some reason it reminded me of Alexia. I gasped as I remembered that I left him all alone in that unforgiving dungeon! I prayed that he is still alive and well, for I could never forgive myself if something happened to him.

I heard Selene's nimble footsteps climb up the ladder into my room.

"The boat has docked, we have less than an hour for us to sneak you on it" She said quickly.

"Wait! The people don't even know I'm going to be on the ship?" I asked, purely in shock.

"Did you really think a group of rag-tag sailors are just going to let a proclaimed traitor on their ship?" Selene asked rolling her eyes.

I shrugged my shoulders in reply.

"I'll explain on the way there" Selene said taking my arm and leading me down the ladder gently.

As we climbed into the canopy, Neva handed us both disguises.

"Change into them now." She whispered.

We quickly shed our airy dresses for this new heavy clothing, something I had never experienced before. We also put our hair in caps. We jumped out of the moving canopy and walked over to the side of the road.

"Neva will be back soon with a donkey so we can go to the docks." Badra whispered to us as we stood by her.

A few moments later Neva came back with a donkey, ready to go. We all quickly climbed on the mule and we set off for the docks. The ride was no more than ten minutes and Neva stopped the donkey behind the ship that was to go to Rome.

"Everyone get off now" Selene hissed as she jumped off the animal.

Everyone scampered to the ground and faced Selene.

"There will be an empty cellar inside of that lower window-" She said gesturing to a large window near the overlapping waters of the Nile.

"The sailors won't use the cellar that you will be in since they believe using one is bad luck, so they keep all their provisions in the kitchen. You can swim over and climb in quickly. Badra has packed some food for you all. When you get to Rome, there will be a man who knocks on the door of the cellar three times in a row. He is a servant of the ambassador and will get you to the house quickly and efficiently." Selene explained.

She kept looking around nervously.

"Well Ife, this is where I leave you" Cliao said looking at me sadly.

I nodded, my eyes began to water.

"I'll miss you dear friend, do not forget me for I, will never forget you." I said hugging Cliao tightly.

Cliao was silent but did hug me back.

"Thank you for your kindness and wisdom Selene." I said nodding towards her.

"Remember what I taught you, it will be very useful in Rome." She said softly.

"Go" Selene said ushering us towards the water.

Neva dived into the water first and broke open the tiny window and climbed inside. A few seconds later, she beckoned us with her hand. Badra did the same, and then it was my turn. I winced as the cold, icy water hit my skin. I felt four little kicks in protest as they felt the water hit their little wall of protection.

I quickly clawed at the wood of the ship, trying to get a grip before Neva hoisted me up onto the uneven plank that had fallen into the water and pulled me through the window. We had just gotten on in time before the ship started moving and we heard the noises  of the oars hitting the water.

As the ship started moving, I looked back to where Selene and Cliao were standing, they were gone. Neva pulled me back into the dark corners of the cellar.

"Get back!" She hissed as she put a mat and stuffed it in the tiny window, so nobody could see us through it.

"Three months" Badra said quietly.