Chapter Fifteen

I walked with Emmis hand in hand to her shop. She had demanded that I stuff my hair in a cap so that no one would recognize me.

"Here it is" She announced, pulling me towards a building with two levels.

It had a wooden sign that had the words "Emmis's Seam House" in Greek.

"I have five other workers who will be coming inside and going outside. But you my dear, will be staying outside" She said sharply.

I nodded and we went inside, it was nice and cool inside despite the blazing heat outside. There were the other girls sitting and working the sewing loom.

"Girls, meet Eria. She is our newest worker. I expect you all to treat her kindly." Emmis said sharply.

I looked at her confused as to why she didn't use my real name but then I realized it was because she was protecting me, in case one of the girls recognized me.

"Yes Miss Emmis" They said.

They went around introducing themselves. Calistia, Ebony, Neith, Cleo, and Octavia.

"Now, I assume you know how to work a loom?" Emmis asked me.

I nodded, my mother had taught me when I was three years old.

"Alright, your work spot will be beside Calista." Emmis said pointing to the loom beside Calista.

I walked over to the loom and smiled at Calista. She lowered her eyes in return.

"Alright ladies, as usual I will be on the streets, telling people about my shop. Run if you need anything" Emmis said.

She ran out the door and the rest of us started to get to work.

A awkward silence settled over us, as it was just the sound of the threads occasionally making a sound when we rustled them together.

"I must go wash this outside" Cleo said picking up her newly finished blue and white rug.

She took a water basin and filled it up with water and she sat down in the back courtyard. The sound of the water seeping in and out of the rug filled the building.

I finished my purple rug and was about to grab a basin and head outside when Octavia stopped me.

"Miss demands that you do not go outside. I will do it" She said taking the basin from me and the rug.

"No, I am not helpless. I will do it." I said grabbing the things back.

"Miss demands that you don't go outside and I will obey her." She said again, hitting my hands so the basin and rug fell to the floor.

"Thank you" Octavia said icily as she picked the things up and headed outside.

I sighed and chose four different threads this time, white, aqua, red, and orange. It was nearly midnight when Emmis came back and I was exhausted, a hard day of being on my feet put a lot of strain on me.

"Was she standing the whole day?" Emmis asked coldly as she came in, pointing at me.

"S-she insisted Miss" Calista mumbled.

"You worthless harpies. You disobeyed me. You will not get paid today because of this!" Emmis screeched.

The girls nodded meekly and lowered their eyes. Emmis stomped up to each of them and hit them hard across the cheek. They didn't wince or even flinch once, it was almost like they were numb to it.

"Go home. Now!" Emmis yelled.

The girls ran out of the shop and out into the streets.

"I told you to sit" Emmis said steadily but I could sense the anger in her voice.

"I'm fine" I said.

"It is not good for the baby. If I catch you doing this again..I'll..." Emmis said trailing off, I knew she wouldn't dare hit me.

"I understand what you are trying to say Emmis" I said putting a hand on her shoulder.

"Come, let us go home" She said taking my hand.