Chapter Twenty-Three

As I was eating the morning meal, I heard a knock on the door. Selene nodded to the maid to open it. There was Cliao standing in front of two other people that I couldn't see.

"Ife, you have visitors" Selene said smiling at me.

Cliao stepped aside to reveal Neva and Badra. I jumped up, ran to them and hugged them both tightly.

"I missed you so much!" I said with my eyes watering up.

"We missed you, my lady!" Neva and Badra said hugging me back, both their eyes were watering as well.

"Let's talk" I said holding both of their hands and walking to my room.

We sat down on my bed and just stared at each other, I still couldn't believe they were physically here!

"Oh, my sweet Badra" I said softly, tracing the scar on her skull with my hand gently.

"It doesn't hurt anymore Ife. The doctors said it was nothing short of the work of Ra" She said smiling at me.

"How are you both?" I asked.

"Do you know how painful it is to serve the snake? The room feels crowded when she walks into a room because of her massive ego!" Neva said rolling her eyes.

"I can only imagine" I muttered.

"How are you feeling?" Badra asked, gesturing to my stomach.

"Well, I'm about six months along now. I get sick in the morning sometimes, but that's my only complaint" I said smiling at her.

"Bernice got married to a warrior. She hopes that she is pregnant, or then her rule will be officially secure. But Cleopatra and Arisone hope that she's not because then, they would be in more danger than they already are." Neva said.

"How are Cleopatra and Arisone?" I asked them.

"They are doing okay. Arisone is now fifteen and Cleopatra is now sixteen. Whenever I pass them in the hallway they always say hello." Neva said.

"I miss them" I muttered.

An unsettling silence filled the room,

"So, how are you here? Are they treating you right?" Neva asked with a hint of anger.

I laughed and touched her wrist lightly with my hand, "I'm fine, Neva. Everyone is treating me well." I said.

"Thank Ra!" Badra exclaimed.

We talked for what seems like the whole entire day until it was nightfall. I felt content that night. But that was about to be unhinged the next morning.