Chapter 10: Hope Is A Precious Gift

The rain had stopped falling by the time Streampaw arrived in camp. The first cat she saw as she padded through the entrance was her own mother. Skyheart raced towards her and covered her face with licks. "Where have you been!? I've been worried sick about you!" she gasped. Streampaw pulled away from here mother. "I'm fine. I just... heard something." Skyheart nodded; uncertainty gleaming in her eyes. "Alright then, I'm just looking out for you."

"Streampaw!"

Streampaw turned around to see Lightningpaw rushing towards her. "What's wrong?" Streampaw asked. She already had an idea of what was coming. "Birdstar wants to see you right now in her den. It's something serious!" Lightningpaw whispered. Streampaw nodded and mewed farewell to Skyheart. I'm in trouble, I just know it, Streampaw thought sadly. She made her way towards the small cave under TallRock, where Birdstar's den was.

~~~~~~~~~~~~***~~~~~~~~~~~~

The den was cool and drafty, and it made Streampaw's body shiver from nose to tail. She could only just make out Birdstar's pale blue eyes glinting in the dim light. "Streampaw, please sit down." she said curtly. Streampaw shivered and sat down. "Am I in trouble?" she asked. The old leader's eyes flashed. "What did you expect!? For me to just let you off with out a single warning?" she snapped. Streampaw felt the fur along her spine rise and her claws slid out of her paws. Birdstar continued reprimanding her, "You were also eavesdropping on me, Lionclaw's, Fawnleap's, and Flowerfur's conversation!"

At that moment, Streampaw didn't care whether she was talking to her leader or any cat, she was going to give it to her straight. Streampaw suddenly jumped onto her paws and let out a growl. "And did you expect me to never find out about the prophecy! Or know that you've all given up hope on me ever becoming a warrior!" Birdstar flinched and stayed silent. I got her, Streampaw thought. "You thought that I could of lived without knowing anything! Didn't you!?" Birdstar growled, but stayed put. "I know what my true path is now! And it's not the path of a warrior."

"Then what have you chosen to follow Streampaw!?" Birdstar finally shouted. Streampaw could feel the presence of her warrior ancestors around her, telling her to go on. "StarClan has already laid out a path for me. Flowerfur's told me, but I was the one who refused to listen. I'm meant to be a medicine cat: that is my true destiny." Streampaw mewed, her voice ringing with truth. Birdstar's tension suddenly disappeared and her eyes grew wide.

"Are you sure? This decision could influence the rest of your life." Birdstar meowed. Streampaw nodded. "I've never been surer of anything in my life." she answered.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey guys! So sorry that it took me so long to update this chapter! And I'm sorry it's so short. I takes a while to come up with these stories and don't worry, this isn't the end of the book. Hope you enjoy the rest of the book! :)