Chapter 15: Frozen Spirits

A snowflake landed on Streampaw's nose as she plucked an old goldenrod stem from the snow-covered ground. The snow had just started to fall and she and Flowerfur had to go collect some herbs for the greencough outbreak. It had steadily gotten worse;but, most of the warriors had been getting better now. "Birdstar needs feverfew so her fever can go down." Flowerfur said as she scraped some snow away from a little plant. Streampaw nodded and started sniffing around for it. "Is there any growing this time of the year?" she asked.

Flowerfur thought and shrugged. "There should be, but since the snowfall is very heavy then there shouldn't be that much." she mewed. Streampaw nodded and began wandering around to search for feverfew. She felt her heart leap with joy as she felt the wind ruffle her fur and she let out a purr. She might not like leaf-bare but, she sure enjoyed the cool wind. Streampaw suddenly smelled a bitter-sweet scent drift in the air. Feverfew.

She bounded towards the scent and saw a few little plants sprouting out of the snow. "Flowerfur I see some!" she yowled as she started digging the roots up carefully. The ginger and white she-cat padded over and started helping Streampaw with the herbs. "Careful. We need to keep these in good condition for Birdstar. Her fever is very bad." Flowerfur said. Streampaw could tell she was worried, her voice and eyes said it all. She lay her tail on Flowerfur's shoulder as she bit the stems of the herbs. "Don't worry. I'm sure Birdstar will be fine." Streampaw said trying to be reassuring. The old medicine cat chuckled and let out an amused purr.

"I'm sure your right;but I can't help myself. Birdstar is my sister after all!" Streampaw gasped in surprise. "Birdstar is your sister!?" she meowed. Flowerfur nodded, her green-blue eyes bright. "Yes she is. We were in the same litter and she was the smallest one in it. I was just a little bigger than her though." she said jokingly. Streampaw giggled and picked up the herbs and padded after Flowerfur. "Come on. Lets head back to camp." Flowerfur said as she walked up besides Streampaw.

----------------------~**~---------------------

Streampaw walked into camp just as Lionclaw ran out of Birdstar's den. The moment the golden tabby saw her and Flowerfur he raced over. "Flowerfur! It's Birdstar! Her fever had gotten even worse and she keeps having coughing fits!" he said his amber eyes wide with fear. Flowerfur widened her eyes and raced to the den. Streampaw ran to the medicine den and put down the feverfew and began searching for catmint. "Which one is it!?" she yowled as she scanned the store for the leaves. Flowerfur suddenly burst into the den. "She's gotten worse. And, the Gathering is tonight." she said as she grabbed the catmint leaves from the store.

Streampaw followed her into Birdstar's den and she saw her leader lying in her nest gasping for air. "Can I do anything!" Streampaw yowled. Flowerfur crouched in front of Birdstar and nudged the catmint and feverfew towards her. "I... I honestly think that it's in the paws of StarClan." she mewed softly. Streampaw just stared at her mentor, her heart racing. StarClan let her be okay...

Flowerfur glanced at her and said, "I'll stay here with her. Please, go tell Lionclaw that she won't be able to make to the Gathering like this." Streampaw nodded and walked out of the den into the clearing. She saw Lionclaw speaking with Fawnleap. Streampaw padded over to the two and meowed hello. "Streampaw," began Lionclaw, "How's Birdstar?" "I honestly can't tell. Flowerfur said that its in the paws of StarClan." Streampaw explained. Fawnleap's eyes widened and her pelt bristled a little. "Will she be alright?" she asked. Streampaw shrugged.

"Like I said, I can't tell. Flowerfur said that it's in the paws of StarClan."