Chapter Six: Hope

Chapter Six:
Hope

Michael bent down and pressed his lips against mine. It took me a couple seconds to comprehend what was going on.

Michael was kissing me!

This was all I ever wanted and now that it was happening, I was too shocked to be able to kiss back.

It ended as quickly as it started. Michael pulled away and stroked my cheek for a moment.

It was like reality dawned on him then. But to my surprise, he didn't pull away and start yelling at me. Instead, he just leaned back down and rested his head on my chest, trying to put as little pressure on it as possible.

I hesitantly put my hand in Michael's locks and started playing with a curl, gently curling my finger around it and allowing it to bounce back in place.

"Gavin, you know I'd never actually stop talking to you forever. As I said, I wouldn't be able to do it. You mean way to much to me for me to hold a stupid grudge on you," Michael admitted. I sighed and let his curl bounce back in place before answering.

"Well, I've been told that before and the person actually ended up being serious," I told him.
Michael lifted his head and looked at me in confusion.

"What did you mean by 'that's what they all say'?" Michael asked me suddenly.

I shivered and shook my head. I didn't think Michael should know about my past situation just yet. It was a little bit disturbing to bring it up now. Especially since it embarrassed and terrified me to even think about it.

"I'll tell you later. Right now isn't the best time to be telling that story," I told him, looking away. Michael didn't press me further, thank god.

Geoff walked in again with Griffon and Heidi this time and Michael stepped away from me.

"Gavin, I think you should explain to Heidi what you did," Geoff told me. Griffin held Heidi's hand and led her over to me.

Heidi stepped up into the chair and gripped my hand with her two tiny ones. I smiled a little at the warmth but instantly felt fear burst inside me when I realized I had to tell her about my depression.

"All of it?" I asked Geoff. He nodded and turned back to Michael, whispering silently to him.

I turned back to Heidi, who's eyes were filling with tears. I instantly felt terrible for having to put her in this situation, but I gripped her hand back, hoping to soothe her.

"Heidi, you know how when you get sad, all you want to do is curl up and cry?" I started, trying to explain this in a child friendly way.
But she nodded nevertheless.

"Okay, well, that's how I feel all the time. And when that happens to someone, someone typically my age or older, they can get diagnosed with depression. And... It's very, very difficult to get out of depression. And sometimes, not all the time, when someone has had depression for so long and it doesn't get better, they might try to do things that they shouldn't," I explained. Heidi nodded, prompting me to go on.

"Well, those things are supposed to cause pain to distract them from the constant sadness that this person has. But, they shouldn't do that, ever. Because it's not the answer. But they still do it, and sometimes, when their depression gets so difficult, they try to end their life. Some may try to do it quick and painless. Others may let themselves suffer-," I was cut off by Heidi asking a question.

"Are you quick and painless or suffer?" Heidi asked me. I looked up at Griffon, Geoff, and Michael, who were obviously waiting for my answer.

"Suffer," I muttered, not looking back at Heidi.

"Why? Why would you want to suffer?" Heidi asked, her tears falling down her cheeks now.

"Because I believe I deserve to suffer," I choked out, my own tears falling.

Heidi shook her head and reached her arms out to hug me. I hugged her back tightly, letting all my tears spill over.

"Please don't suffer, uncle Gavin. Please don't," Heidi cried. I just stroked her head and held her a little tighter.

"I wish I could but... I'm always suffering, Heidi. I'm always sad," I told her. Heidi pulled back and wiped her tears off her face.

"Then be happy!" She cried out, putting her hands on my cheeks.

"I wish I knew how," I mumbled back while Heidi played with a stray strand of my hair.

"Smile. Then you'll be happy," She told me.

I tried to smile but it just didn't feel right. As I said, all my smiles now we're forced and faked. No where near what I thought a genuine smile should look like.

Once Heidi realized I couldn't, just frowned and kissed my nose before jumping off the chair and running to Griffon, crying into her stomach.

I watched her, feeling horrible that I did something like that to her.

I looked back over at Geoff and Michael and saw Michael give me a quick glance before Geoff started talking again, still too quietly for me to hear.

I sighed and leaned back, resuming my dead stare at the ceiling.

...

About a hour later and Griffon, Geoff, and Heidi left. Michael still refused to leave and when the family did, he moved closer to me.
He resumed to hold my hand while I continued to stare up at the ceiling. Michael was biting his knuckle, fighting off tears while I stared blankly at the ceiling.

"Gav," Michael finally said, breaking me out of my stare. "I need to ask you something."

I looked at him in confusion. His tears were gone but he had teeth marks on his knuckle where he had bitten down. His knuckle was bruised now, looking like he had gotten into a fight.

"Shoot," I said after a moment of thinking.

"I think I like you, and I want to ask you something... Important," Michael started, taking my other hand in his. I sat their shocked, already knowing what he was going to ask.

"Can I be your hero and save you from this depression?" He asked me. I cocked my head, not knowing what to say. I thought he was gonna say something else.

"I'm asking you out, Gav," Michael clarified, blushing. My eyes widened and I blushed a bit at my stupidity.

But that didn't stop me from my answer.

"Of course, Michael," I told him sincerely.

Michael smiled and bent down, pressing his lips against mine for the second time. Oh god, how great it felt.

And during the kiss, I felt something blossom in me. Something I hadn't felt in years. Something that made my heart tingle and my stomach leap.

Hope.

Michael's POV:

It wasn't a complete lie at least...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Author's Note:
So, I'm sorry my update was super late. I suck, I know. I've been busy with some family matters and such, so yeah.
Anyway, am I the only one who thinks there aren't any long Mavin fics on Wattpad? Like literally the longest one I've read that had a complete plot was like thirty chapters and compared to some of the stories I read, that really isn't a lot.  Maybe it's just me being picky.
Also, holy fuck a ton of shit is about to go down!
So yeah, thanks for reading! Please leave some feedback! It literally takes a few seconds and it can turn my entire day around. Thanks again for reading and I hoped you enjoyed.