Chapter Ten: Back to The Start

Chapter Ten:
Back to The Start

I blinked my eyes a few times, trying to clear the blurriness from them. I heard a heart monitor beeping quietly and I felt tubes connecting into my arms.

Once I was able to see clearly, I looked around, noticing the white bleached walls and hospital beds.

I'm in the hospital?

I looked to my left where the heart monitor was and I noticed something that nearly made my heart stop.

The date was April 17th, 2015.

But... When I fell asleep the date was June 18th, 2015. How was that possible?

I heard voices outside my door, despite my grogginess, I strained to listen to them.

"Geoff, what if he's awake?" A voice said.

"Michael, you're starting to sound like Gavin," Geoff muttered to him.

"Well, someone's gotta act stupid while he's in a coma," Michael sighed.

"But, Michael, you ask this everyday. You and I both know that he's in a very critical condition," Geoff told him.

"But, there's still hope. He hasn't slipped away yet," Michael yelped hopefully. I heard a deep sigh.

"Michael, have you ever noticed that his heartbeat seems to be getting slower everyday? I have. The doctor told me if it slows down anymore... Then... We need to start thinking about pulling the plug," Geoff said.

Silence.

"How dare you, Geoff. How dare you even begin to give up on him," I heard Michael growl.

"Michael, he tried to commit suicide. He doesn't want to live. And if he's near death, then as his final wish I think we should grant him what he wanted," Geoff told him.

"What the fuck, Geoff?! Do you realize what your saying! This is Gavin! Gavin Free! We love him! Without him, we're nothing!" Michael screamed at him.

"Without him... I'm nothing!" He finished.

"Michael, I'm sorry. This is what I have to do," Geoff told him.

The door opened and I quickly shut my eyes.

"Stay out. I want to be alone with him," Michael growled. I heard a shuffle of feet and the door closed.

I heard a chair scrap against the floor and someone sigh. I felt eyes burning into my skin and I had the urge to move around. I constantly reminded myself not to as I felt Michael reach for my hand. I felt hot tears drop onto our intertwined hands.

"I can't believe this might be the last time I talk to you, Gavin. I didn't want to admit it, but your heartbeat has slowed down. I never wanted this to happen to you. You're my boi, Gav," I heard him pause as he sobbed out.

"I can't even remember what your voice sounds like. I watch all the old videos but it just isn't the same. I want to hear you call me 'Mi-cool' again. I want to listen to you talk on and on about things I couldn't give two shits about. I want to be your boi again," He said.

I heard something open. A box?

"I'm thinking about proposing to Lindsay. Thinking about... I actually already bought the ring. You'd think the engraving was funny though. Me trying to be a hopeless romantic," Michael choked out.

Him and Lindsay broke up though.

"You were going to be my best man, Gav. You were gonna be the one I look to for support as I made this transition. Now... I guess I'm gonna have to find someone else," Michael rasped out. He rested his head on our intertwined hands and sobbed into the sheets.

I blinked open my eyes again and felt my own tears come to my eyes. I dragged my arm up, despite the heaviness of it, and pet his curls.
He stiffened on contact. It was like time froze for a good five seconds before his head slowly lifted and his eyes locked with mine.

"Gavin?" He asked cautiously.

"Ello, Mi-cool," I croaked, thickening my accent.

Michael broke out into a fit of sob-laughs and hugged me tightly. I smiled and wrapped my arm around him as best I could. We stayed like that for what felt like an eternity before he pulled away and pushed my hair back.

"How... When... What?" Michael stuttered. I smiled and shrugged.

"You're not dead," Was all he said before hugging me again.

As much as I loved being in his embrace, I had a few questions I needed answered.

What's up with the minged up date?

Didn't you and Lindsay break up?

Why am I in the hospital?

I guess they all slipped out as I thought them.

"What are you talking about?" Michael pulled back confused.

"Let's start with the date. I thought it was June," I said. Michael furrowed his eyebrows and shook his head.

"Not for another two months," Michael told me.

"Okay, and why am I in the hospital? I literally just fell asleep," I told him.

"Gavin, do you not remember?" Michael asked me.

"Remember what?" I asked confused.

"You tried committing suicide. And you almost got away with it if it wasn't for Geoff finding you," Michael told me, his eyes beginning to water again.

"How?" I asked him.

"You were in the bathroom and you tried drowning yourself in the bathtub. There was bottles of pills on the ledge too," Michael told me.

Memories of when I first tried committing suicide rushed back to me. I had tried drowning myself and I had taken many sleeping pills before. My thinking was that if I went into a deep enough sleep, I wouldn't be able to wake up after I was submerged in the water.

"How long have I been in a coma?" I asked him.

"About three months," Michael told me.

"And you and Lindsay. You two broke up, right?" I asked, hoping this one to be true.

When Michael gave me a confused look my heart dropped.

"No? Why would we break up? Especially when I'm planning on proposing to her," Michael asked me.

And like that, my depression was back.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Author's Note:
Hey! I finally updated. I'm also being a bitch and giving you the feels! I legit read over the last chapter again and I was like, plot twists are cool and I wrote this. Your welcome!
Anyway, thanks for reading! Please let me know how I'm doing. It means a lot when you guys take the time to tell me what you think. It really helps in my writing as well.
Thanks for reading and I hope you enjoyed!