XXV - The resident protagonist

Bevan narrowed his eyes at the encroaching shock-wave. He threw himself at Main, tackling him to the ground with a cry. The static crackled overhead, as it passed over their heads.

"Main!" Bevan gasped, slapping his comrade back into consciousness. "Main, there's a mysterious figure attacking us with magic!"

"The mini-boss," Main groaned. He shoved Bevan aside and stood, glaring evenly at the figure. "So, you've come to mark the half-way point of our quest, have you?"

"What?" The figure frowned,  tugging on the hood of his cloak. "No. I'm here to get revenge on you for what you did to me! You have no right to be on this journey."

Main tilted his head sideways at the short, angry man. "Do I know you?"

"Perhaps you'll recognize me now." He sighed, pulling off his hood to reveal...

*

Main stared at the suddenly revealed face. Much had happened to it in seven years, but the familiarity of its features shocked him. The pale skin and purple eyes;  he hadn't seen - much less thought - about the face glaring at him for at least twenty four chapters.

"Nemesis?" Main gasped. "But... I killed you. You were trying to save the world from 'global worming'"

"I finally did, with no help from you!" Nemesis spat. He ran a hand through his long, black hair. "Those worms are six feet under. And now I hear that you've stolen my job as resident protagonist? I've been doing heroic junk for the past seven years, and this book has completely sidetracked that to favor you. How dare you!"