LX - The language of books

The song ended, and the Prince and Buttercup were reunited. Their mutual smiles churned Main's stomach. His drinks threatened to make a reverse appearance. He groaned.

"Just relax and enjoy the party, is all I'm saying," Replacement Greg said, oblivious to the turmoil of his customer.

Main stood up, his head spinning. "I've got to get away from here," he gasped.

He stumbled from the celebration, lights and noise kaleidoscoping together across his vision. Leaning against the coolness of the wall for support, he noticed a familiar, significantly less-decomposed figure, silhouetted impressively against a stained-glass window.

"Helena?" Main breathed, as the figure ducked, and snuck through the shadows. She'd know exactly how to get Buttercup back. He cleared his throat to call out to her, but gloved hands wrapped around his mouth and yanked him backwards into a storage closet.

"Orrmph," Main protested, as a bag was slipped over his head. He barely had enough time to think 'Oh, not again' when the someone knocked him on the head. Hard.

*

Main woke chained to a cold, foreboding chair. Lining the chamber, rows of navy-robed figures chanted quietly under their hoods. Their deep monotone set his hair on end. Had he been captured by a cult? Main wondered. The skeletal figures teetered like pendulums in time with their chants, like Vikings heaving at oars. At the front of the room, a massive book with a calligraphic 'f' sat, raised on a pedestal. It faced outwards to the eerie chanters.

He pretended to be unconscious, as a robed figure hobbled over to the book.

There was a loud flipping of pages.

"Yes, my lord," an old voice creaked. "We will not allow him to alter the Timeline."

*

Main frowned, careful not clue the robed cultists into his awareness. The flipping pages sounded again.  What would happen if he altered the Timeline? Hadn't it already been played with enough throughout this mess?

Protecting Buttercup had to be the priority, that was surely worth a little bending for. Perhaps these folks knew some way to prevent her from being murdered.

"Everything is in order," the aged voice murmured. "Oh, where has that accursed spell got to?"

Briefly, Main wondered if he was going to be forced to do the Time Warp again.

*

Deprived of sight, he drifted to his other senses. The iron shackles bit meanly into his wrists. From all around him rose the creepy chanting: "Like. Like. Share. Haha. Like. Like. Sad." Main shuddered involuntarily.

The book pages fluttered again, irritably.

"What do you mean he's awake?" the old man grumbled.

A hard, rectangular object struck Main across the face. "Hey, watch it!" he complained, realising his mistake a little too late.

"Show some respect for the Book of Faces," the old voice reprimanded.

 "The Book of Faces?" Main squinted at the navy book dominating the altar. "What a throwback. I remember looking for you a long time ago."

The book's pages fluttered open and closed.

Main frowned. "I'm sorry, what?"

The book opened again. It rifled through its pages again. Angrily.

"Sorry, I don't speak book," Main explained.  

A/N: Main's adventure recommences! We've got one update every 24-48 hours for you delightful reading folk until Main makes it to the last page of his adventure. Pick up a lute and spread the word! Rejoice! Drink responsibly xD