LII - "Didn't you spend seven years doing the same thing?"

"Bevan!" Main gasped. "How did you get in here?!"

"I pretended to be Baron Perkins," Bevan said casually. "Turns out there are a lot of barons with an audience with the king today. Some sort of conference."

"But... I don't even remember what happened to you last time you showed up!"

"It hasn't even been 24 hours!" Bevan said. He sounded offended. "I'm too lazy to check, but it was something to do with you leaving me behind at that cottage." He shook his head. "Listen Main, we've had rough patches. But please, let me help you! This time, I know I can be of service!"

Main stared at him warily, considering.

*

Bevan's clothes dripped green slime over the library's floor.

Bored, Helena peeled flaking skin from her knuckles.

 Main considered.

Bevan shifted his weight awkwardly and slipped over the growing slime puddle.

"Fine," Main said. "You can help me collect these abstract ingredients."

Bevan grinned. "You mean these abstract items?" He opened the briefcase he had concealed behind his back. It was lined with glass vials.

Main gaped at the items. "Where did you find these?"

"I bought them off the black market. Can you believe some schmucks actually venture across the world for this stuff?"

"Didn't you spend seven years doing the same thing?" Helena asked.

Bevan blushed. He held out a blood-stained rag. "This is the last item; it's a corner of Buttercup's wedding dress."

*

Main slowly approached his old partner, looking down at the items.He sighed."This is going to work," he said. "It has to."

"And if it doesn't?" Helena ventured.

"I said it has to, geez! Things in this book always go miraculously well for us."

"You probably just jinxed it."

"Um," Bevan began, "so, now that we have everything we need, what's it say to do in that book?"

"'We'?" Main echoed. "Whoa, wait. I just wanted your help getting the abstract ingredients. Actually saving Buttercup is something I do alone."

Bevan wilted.