Part 3: Don't Look Back

You shiver, trying to convince yourself it's from the cold. You pull your scarf closer around your neck, trying not to choke yourself but not wanting to let the cold air hit your neck. You laughed to yourself, thinking that Ethan and Jasper were just really enjoying themselves so much with this little prank. But you weren't going to let them see that it had frightened you. In fact, you called out loud enough for anyone nearby to hear, "If you're trying to scare me, it didn't work! I know it's you guys! Now come out where I can see you, cowards!"

There was no reply. 

You shook your head, continuing on down the path. The leaves and trees near you began to shake around, the effects of the harsh winds kicking in. You stared down at the ground, taking careful steps so your feet wouldn't make too much noise on top of the dried leaves. Your eyes darted up every once in a while, but you kept your face calm and collected, sticking your bare hand out just a little from your jacket sleeve to feel the hard tree trunks only a few feet away from you. In the distance, you could see the large white three-story house coming into view. Mrs. Cover's house.

You breathed a sigh of relief. Even if the boys were trying to prank you, you were going to ignore them until your task was done. And anyways, the wind was starting to bite your face with it's harsh iciness. 

A slight smile spreading on your face as you inched your way, bit by bit, over fallen tree branches and twigs poking out of the ground, until you were finally in front of Mrs. Cover's massive front gates. You pushed open the left one, (the only one the really worked anymore since the right one rusted up long ago when Mrs. Cover stopped walking outside and only used her car to go anywhere), the rusty gray bars squeaking in protest. After you managed to open them enough to squeeze through, you did just that, trying to avoid the sharp edges. 

Mrs. Cover's stone pathway was covered in leaves and debris, and you reminded yourself to be a good neighbor and offer to clear that up for her. Even if you didn't like her, she was still an old lady, and you didn't want her to try to clear it herself. You stepped carefully onto the tiles, as if some alarm may go off at any moment, signaling that you were there to Mrs. Cover. You hoped to just be able to drop the letter in the door if she wasn't home, if only to avoid talking about school and your mothers job search.

You knocked very carefully on the huge front door, calling out quietly, "Mrs. Cover? It's me, Y/N. Are you home??"

After you go no reply, you went to go slide the letter under the door. You leaned down but almost screamed in fright and dropped the letter to the ground, backing away and trying to take deep, measured breaths. 

Under the door was a small pool of blood leaking out onto the front steps.

You could feel your stomach starting to heave, and you turned away from the gruesome scene, puking onto the grass beside you. The howling wind sounded like screaming to you, and suddenly everything seemed way more spooky. 

You tried to calm yourself. Maybe this was fake blood. Maybe this was some kind of sick joke that the Wilson brothers were playing on you. You leaned down to examine the blood again, breathing through your mouth so as not to smell the foul stuff. You slowly extended your hand to reach out, touching the blood only slightly. You drew your hand ever so slowly towards your face, getting a good look at the substance. It was blood. You could feel it in your bones. This was most definitely blood. 

Your heart started to pound at rapid succession, and your breathing quickened. You wiped your hand on your new jacket, vowing to clean it off later. You stared for a moment at the puddle under the door, debating calling an ambulance or going inside to see if the person was alright. You decided to call 9-1-1, and pulled out your phone. 

Three new messages showed on the screen: one from your mom, and two from Jasper and Ethan's group message the three of you created when you first exchanged numbers. Your mothers text read, "Hi honey. Did you deliver the letter? Come home soon, ok?" with a winky emoji at the end. You decided to reply to her quickly, saying "Everything's ok. Mrs. Cover isn't here yet. I'll put it by the door. B home soon. Luv u". You felt bad lying to her, but you didn't want her to worry like she would.

Jasper and Ethan's texts were more chilling. You shivered again, and pressed "read". They read, "Y/N! Get out of the woods!!! Unknown 09456 is there!!! GET OUT OF THERE!!" followed by another one saying, "If you're reading this, Jasper and Ethan Wilson have been killed. You're next. -Dark".

You thought for a moment, then laughed out loud. Ethan and Jasper were pranking you. You were positive about that. You turned back to the fake blood by the door, pushing open the front door. You were still laughing, ready to catch Jasper and Ethan in the act, as you rounded the corner of Mrs. Cover's huge front hallway to her sitting room. 

Mrs. Cover was sitting in her favorite armchair, her head leaning against the back and her eyes open and still shining with fresh fear. Her mouth was open, as if in mid scream, and a small trail of blood was dripping down her chin. Her entrails were scattered all over the sitting room, the walls and floor covered in blood and guts. A message on the wall wrote, "I warned you," in blood.

If this was still fake, it was pretty damn good, you thought. Still, you went over to check if the person sitting on the armchair was real. You moved them off, and the blood behind the chair and guts scattered even more around the floor by the chair. You screamed, darting away from the spray.

This was real. Oh fuck, this was real!! 

You thought, panic seeping in quickly. You turned around just in time to see a sneering face staring right back at you. "You're a bad listener, you know that?" The dark voice hissed before a blow to the head knocked you out.