Part 7: My Worst Nightmare

A/N: Thank you all for your support! My grandma is doing much better and is even going home today! ^-^ thanks again guys, and here's your promised update!

*Warning! The following material may seem gruesome to some readers. Reader discretion is advised*

*Ethan's POV*
I stared at the paper in front of my face blankly. Choose? How could this sadistic jerk expect me to choose between my best friend and my brother?!

"I don't want to choose either!" I snapped, ripping the paper off the tree and tearing it up into little pieces.

And echoey voice sounded through the woods. You will choose, Ethan.

I shivered. How the hell did they know my name?! "Choose for what?"

For whom you want to live.

I gulped quietly, taking a small step backwards. "F-fine. Then I choose......." My mind wandered, filling with thoughts of the two I cared most about. My best friend or my brother? Why the fuck do I have to choose?!!

"Jasper."

Very well. The voice whispered in the wind before disappearing completely.

A moment later, I heard an ear piercing shriek followed by the sound of blade piercing through skin and bone. I froze in terror before charging forwards blindly. "JASPER!"

Lying in an open clearing not four feet away from where I was standing was my little brother, his blood and guts scattered around the clearing effortlessly. As if the thing that murdered him had ripped it's way from inside his body to the outside in the most painful way possible.

I gagged, turning away to throw up. I sank to my knees, hugging my brothers disembodied head. Blood slowly covered my clothes, but I didn't care. Tears flowed from my eyes, and a loud almost inhuman cry of pain escaped my lips.

I had chosen him to die....it was my fault.

The words swirled around in my brain as I comprehended that. I got to my feet unsteadily, only half sure of what I was doing. I found a tree a few feet away from the massacre that was pretty strong. Just in case, I tested it by climbing it swiftly then dropping back down onto the ground. I looked around, trying to locate my next needed object.

For some ungodly reason, the rope was sitting right next to where I had left my brothers head.

The thing was watching me.

Probably enjoying it's preys decent into madness, I guessed. I swiftly picked up the rope, and climbed back up the tree. Fastening one end of the rope around the tree and the other around my neck, I sat on the branch a minute. My eyes were clear and unfocused, but I could see two red eyes staring at me through the mist.

I pushed myself off the branch, watching in slow motion as the creature jumped at my body, it's jaws drooling with hunger and its sharp teeth glistening in the pale moon light.