Chapter 1 - Bearer of bad news

---Declan's POV---

My head pounded after the torturous debriefing, where Echo, Colt and I had to recount everything in detail, telling the higher ups what happened during the ambush. We were told not to discuss our mission in public, which was the usual but before we left, one of the representatives of the CIA's special divisions pulled me aside and discreetly referred to the letter, telling me to read it in private.

I had shot the man a knowing glance as he looked around before moving away from me after a nod; he knew there was a military leak somewhere but didn't want to alert anyone else, risking that the rat would find out.

"Colt, Echo." I stated before motioning with my head to the chopper that was going to bring us back home, while Mother would remain here until they could pin his exact cause of death; the bullets had ripped several arteries and vessels, amongst the other internal damage they caused.

They caught what I meant and worthlessly followed me. Once we were seated in the chopper, Colt on one side and Echo on the other, I pulled the letter up and removed it from its envelope, surprised that the USB drive dropped out from it. Clearly the medic thought that it had been one of Mother's possessions but we couldn't turn it back in anymore; the chopper was already air born.

I unfolded the letter and was surprised to see that Mother had written it in code. Echo worthlessly took the letter from me and looked it over before reading it aloud.

"Guys,

If you read this, it means that I'm either KIA or MIA, because I wouldn't stay away from my boys any longer than I have to. Sorry to cut your ego's guys, but this time I'm referring to my real boys out there.

I have one last request for you guys that will be my final mission from me to you.

Remember Operation Clean Sweep a few weeks ago? I found evidence that someone in the army is selling INTEL to hostile organizations, immediately endangering our troops. I'm writing this letter now before the chopper is going to bring us to our drop point but I need to write this down for you guys.

My hunch was right and hopefully, today's mission will give me evidence and Intel over the organization that calls itself 'The Dark Sun'. I have a bad feeling though and last time I had that, Echo's head was nearly blown off. If something happens to me, I want you guys to do me a favor. A big one.

I need you guys to go home to my family and protect them. When things go wrong with this mission, it means the Dark Sun has found out about me nosing around and they'll attempt to silence me. But that also means that my kids will be in danger, especially Sage. He's....well, you'll find out on your own.

Thanks you guys and good luck,

Ashton 'Mother' Martinez"

We stayed silent for a moment before Colt looked up from the letter with his hands fisted on his thighs. "So, not only did they set us all up to die, along with team Wolfpack and killing Mother, they're going after his kids too? This thing goes deep, mark my words."

I nodded, looking down at the letter again before sighing for a moment. "All I know is that I'm going to do this for Mother. But if his kids are on a hit list, I doubt that we can protect them long without raising suspicion...unless we make a plan."

Colt nodded slowly, rubbing his thumb over the slight stubble on his cheek before he snapped his fingers and fumbled around with his gear. "Base, this is Colt. How's Wolfpack doing?"

We watched in silence as Colt waited for an answer before the intercom cracked with a reply. "Colt, this is Dr. Philips. I can't give you the information for it is classified but all I can tell you is that team Wolfpack fared far worse than you guys." I shared a loaded look with the others while Colt cursed under his breath and contacted one of the higher ups.