Chapter 13 - Simple pawns

---Declan’s POV---

“Are you sure?”

Those were the first words out of my mouth after Samuel has pulled us all apart and proceeded to inform us of what had occurred just outside. The tension in the air was palpable as we all exchanged worried glances.

Just a few minutes ago, I had still been snuggling with Sage on the sofa, thinking of possible future scenarios before I had heard the front door opening and closing again, accompanied with Ellie’s chirping as she chattered none-stop at Samuel.

I had known right then that something was up; school wasn’t due to end for three more hours, so why pick Ellie up so soon? Sage had tensed beside me before we both gazed in each others eyes, drinking the other in. It was as if we silently agreed to tell each other everything, but not now.

Sage had gently pulled himself out of my arms and drawn Ellie’s attention towards the kitchen, where they still were by now. Me, Richard, Josh and Samuel were holed up in our HQ, staring worriedly at each other.

Josh was resting his fists on the table, frowning sharply at the tabletop while Richard leaned against the wall, arms crossed and expression solemn. Sam nodded his head as Josh smothered a growl and looked up.

“Aye, the car wasn’t lost Dusty.” I blinked at my codename and found myself cursing because now I just knew how serious this shit was. “Fuck! Damn it all to hell. How did they found us so soon anyways?”

I glared at Richard, as if he was going to give me any answers but he held his hands defensively in the air. “Don’t you look at me, I have no clue whatsoever. What we can’t afford now is to lose our cool. We need to think, make plans and make sure those kids are safe. There’s more at stake for you guys, now more than ever.”

Josh yelled in anger before flipping the table over, crashing everything on it on the floor before he stomped through the room, breathing heavily through his nose. “Those bastards know of the attack, no doubt. They’re doing a little recon.”

I nodded, feeling myself getting back in the game as I thought of every possible thing that could be important right now. Walking towards one of the writable walls, I grabbed a pen and started jutting notes down.

“It could be one of the higher ups checking up to see where the remnants of Wolfpack and Neptune are.” Richard added, though he didn’t sound very hopeful. Nonetheless, I added that to the list as well.