And Then I Fell Apart (Chapter 13)

*Edited*

This chapter will be when Casey is with her family and how they died and yeah. P.S you'll figure out some things she hasn't told anyone about. (Yet)

Casey's POV

So it's Halloween. My family hasn't done anything special for this holiday in years. But this year we decided to have a cook out in our backyard. Over the past week we've being watching the news only to see a new virus spreading. Today at school a lot of people were gone and I fear this virus has reached our state. Or even worse, our town.

We saw all of these kids dressed up in costumes. But there was an unusual amount of people who looked, dead. I know some teenagers who are mocking me the virus, but even some adults are joining in. While I was riding the bus home a few miles away there was a man and a woman dressed up as someone who got the virus. I can tell something bad is happening, and I'm always right.

"Burgers are done!" My dad yelled from our backyard. My brother and sister, Chandler and Bethany, pushed me out of the way to go first. That's teens for you.

"Wait I was going to grab that one!" Bethany growled at Chandler.

"Well you're too slow."

"Guys don't fight." My mom said.

"Let's pray." I said before grabbing any food.

"Dear God, thank you for this wonderful meal with my family and let us have a safe day. Jesus name, Amen." Dad prayed quickly to eat his food which made me roll my eyes.

"Why would we have to have a safe day?" I asked thinking about the virus.

"I heard the virus is spreading faster and closer to us." Chandler said keeping his eyes low.

"Yeah, it's getting near." My dad said with a serious face. "That's why we have to leave."

"What, where would we go?" Bethany asked.

"I don't know, but some where far from here."

"Your father and I need your help packing everything. We've already packed some things but-"

We heard screams from the front yard. My heart dropped seeing the look on my family's face. We all got up and ran to the scream. I felt sick at the sight in front of us. Our neighbor dressed as a princess was being torn apart by a man. There had been no reports of the infected being violent. That means it's getting worse!

A scream went in my ear and I turned around to see my mom covered in blood. She had a huge bite in her arm and I backed up and fell watching my sister get bit too. This was when the virus turned you almost instantly. I could feel in my gut they weren't to be okay. Chandler helped me up and carried me inside. My dad was behind him as we grabbed bags and ran to the backyard woods.

"Wait, I forgot something!" Chandler turned around and my Dad and I both screamed for him to stop. But it was too late. Another scream filled my ear. Chandler was bit, it was just me and my dad.

"We have to do something." I cried reaching for my brother.

"No!" My dad yelled trying to pull me away.

"No I'm staying." I stated, he looked at me for a long time before he ran off. Why would he do that, he left me here? I ran up to Chandler and tried to stop the bleeding.

"No, it's to late. You have to go." He mumbled pushing me away.

"No, I'm not going!" I said. I hear weird noises and looked up to see my mom and sister coming towards us. But there weren't them, they were dead.

"I love you." My brother said as his head fell back. His eyes opened but they were pale. His usual ocean blue eyes now a dark gray. He lifted up his head growling and he bit into my arm. I panicked and held my arm as I scooted back away from them.

As they came towards me I stumbled through my backpack for something sharp. I grabbed a knife and as the came up I stabbed my mother. Over and over and yet she didn't fall. But she tripped over onto me and my knife went into her head. She was dead, I killed my mom.

Then came Bethany, I got up with a pain shooting through my arm. I lifted my good arm up and stabbed her in the head. My sister was dead, and I killed her.

Finally came Chandler; the one who died in my arms. This one hurt me the most as I stabbed into his head and we both fell over.

I looked up and others started to come. I got up and ran inside my house grabbing medical supplies, food, water, another knife, and a blanket. I couldn't go through the front door, or the back.

I had to wait. I went into my room and grabbed my necklace that had a family picture in it. It was me in the middle of my siblings with my parents behind us.

I put it around my neck and looked at my wound. I was going to turn into one of them. But what worries me the most is that I let Chandler bite me. I had plenty of time to move away, but I didn't.

I got out the stitching materials and stitched up my arm trying to ignore the sounds from outside. I'm all alone in this broken home. With no one left but the dead. I would be one of them soon. I shouldn't even waste my time stitching myself up. All I have left is my father, who left me. I have to go find him.

I got up and went to the door. It was clear, I ran out the door and into the woods trying to follow my father's foot prints. What scared me was I didn't get any weaker. I would keep running until I turned.

I ran and ran. My arm burned, but I don't want to be alone. I hate being alone. It got dark, I got tired. I had to stop, but I can't stop; but I have to stop. The adrenaline was running out, pain and exhaustion filled by body.

I fell to the ground panting. I couldn't sleep on the ground so I climbed a tree and tied myself to it. (Hunger Games!)

And then it hit me. My family is dead, I killed them. My dad left me, I'll never see any of my friends again. I don't even know if I'll see anyone again.  And I'm going to turn into one of them. One of the walking dead.

And then I fell apart. I fell apart because I wasn't dying, I fell apart because of who did die. I just wanted it to end. I thought I'd felt pain before but this was nothing compared to anything I've felt before. And the worst part is it didn't feel real. It just felt like some memory that was planted into my head. I just want to be back home with everyone. I just want Dad to come back and find me. I just want to feel something.

This chapter is about what happened to Casey before she met them. Her dad is alive!!! The song is Broken Home by 5SOS. Much Love!