Just Close Your Eyes (Chapter 21)

*Edited*

Casey's POV

It's been a while now since Shane went looking for Lori. It's dark outside, and Beth is still in shock.

I don't know what to do, and my anger has been really coming off and on today. Carl and I went inside and no one said anything.

Rick, Glenn, and Hershel aren't back and everyone is scared.

Right now we're all sitting in the living room quiet.

"So..." I said breaking the silence.

"Yeah this is just getting weird, someone say something." Andrea replied.

"When things got like this, Beth would always sing." Maggie said.

"Well, does anyone know a song?" T Dog asked.

"I do, it was a song that my mom used to sing to me." I said.

"Well go ahead." Maggie replied.

"I don't know, I barely remember it and I'm not good at public singing." I said.

"Don't be afraid." Carl said.

(So this song is Safe and Sound by Taylor Swift if you want to listen to the whole song.)

"I remember tears streaming down your face as I said I'll never let you go. When all those shadows almost killed your light. I remember you said don't leave me here alone. But all that's dead and gone and past tonight. Just close your eyes, the sun is going down. You'll be all right, no one can hurt you now. Come morning light, you'll and I'll be safe and sound."  I finished and sat there awkwardly.  Everyone was smiling and Carl started clapping making everyone else clap. From outside we heard a car door shut.  We all sprang up and ran outside.  There stood Shane and Lori.

"What happened are you ok?"  Dale asked.

"I'm fine." Lori replied.

"No she's not, she got in a car crash."  Shane said.

"Where's Rick?"  She asked.

"They aren't back."  I said looking over to Shane who was looking down.

"You said they were back."  Lori said.

"I was just worried about the baby."  He said and I shook my head giving him the 'don't' look.  But I was to late.

"You're having a baby, and didn't tell me."  Carl said angrily.

"I-I."  Lori didn't get to finish, Carl was already walking away. I tried to go after him but Shane stopped me.

"I need you to check up on Lori."  He said and I nodded.  I took Lori inside and got things I needed like bandages, a flashlight, and some stuff to clean her up.  I took the flashlight and shined it in her eyes.  Her pupils weren't dilated, she didn't have a fever, and her cuts weren't deep.

"You're fine, there's nothing to bad."  We got up and went to the living room where Carl, Dale, and Andrea were.  I sat on one side of Carl and Lori sat on the other.

"So is the baby a girl or boy?"  Carl asked putting his hand on Lori's stomach.

"We won't know until it's born.  We haven't had the time to have 'the talk' yet."  Lori said as I slightly laughed.  "Do you want the talk too?" Lori asked sarcastically.

"No!  I'm not going through that awkward moment again."  I said as the others laughed.  Then Shane walked in.

"Hey Lori, can I talk to you?"  Shane asked.

"Yeah." She said and little annoyed.

"Alone."  He replied looking at the rest of us.  We just got up and left the room.

"I'm going to check on Beth."  I said to the others walking in the room where Beth was.  Maggie was sitting on the bed with her, she was just holding her hand.

"Hi."  I said, but Maggie didn't say anything.  "Is she doing ok?"  I asked.

"Barely."

"Well I'm just going to check on her, I'll see if she's doing any better." I said walking over to the bedside and feeling her pulse the her head.

"Once this thing all started our dad kept us here waiting for a cure.  And once you came along being immune or something, we had hope.  Hope that you would fix this all and save us.  But now that I think of that, it's stupid."

"There is still hope out there, we're all still alive and that's a miracle."

"How did this even start, who's the idiot who started all of this?"  She asked.

"I don't know but maybe they had a reason. But I would still want to give that persona piece of my mind."

"I wonder if there are more people like you out there.  And if you are the only on, why you?"  She said.

"I ask myself that all the time, why me? I'm a nobody, and yet God chose me to be Immune."  I replied.

"What's it like, to be bit.  You're the only one to live and tell."

"It's painful, very painful.  Being scratched is one thing, but being bit is a whole lot worse.  Being scratched feels like needles digging in my skin.  While being bit feels like one hundred wasps stinging me.  I fight off the pain, at least I try to.  But there's always something I feel after being, marked, by a walker.  I can feel the infection spreading through me, then something fighting and killing it off.  The one thing I'm scared of is, that the fighting will stop, or that I'll stop fighting."

21 chapter!  Hope you guys liked it comment what you think.  I still can't believe this book is close to over.  But who knows what'll happen.  Love you guys!!!