Chapter 16

Alona was hesitant to just walk blindly into the tunnel without knowing anything about what could be at the end of it. But, then again, she had followed Arlo across a barren wasteland of rock.

Arlo was still hurting, Alona knew he was, even if he wouldn't admit it. He moved slower and more carefully. 

He had surprisingly found his rifle among the dirty water and mud. The pistol she had been carrying was no where to be found.

She had found her bag hanging 15 feet from the ground. How it had gotten caught she had no idea.

Arlo had handed her a weird light stick, it was like a flashlight but also a like a glow stick that you would have at a party. It was strange. It glowed slightly red, but more like a faint pink.

She had tried climbing up the wall to reach it but she kept sliding back down, her ribs were still sore from the guard beating her. She had tried jumping but she was not exactly basketball material. Plus, her ankle was still weak.

Arlo shook his head at Alona's sad attempts to reach her bag.

Arlo walked over to where the bag hung over his head. He aimed his rifle and popped off one shot. The small blue beam tore straight through her strap. The bag fell and he caught the end of her ripped strap.

She stood there shocked. He tied her straps together and handed her the bag.

She smiled and thanked him.

She pulled out her Polaroid and snapped a picture of hole. She turned and took a picture of Arlo, then of the tunnel. He flinched at the flash of light, slightly irritated. He surprised himself by not yelling at her.

"What's up with the pictures?" Arlo asked as he moved to the edge of the tunnel.

"I told you, I'm documenting my experience." She said as she refilled the camera and placed it in her bag.

He slowly walked down the tunnel. "How did you get here in the first place?"

She knew this was coming, but she had thought it would be later on.

"I was kidnapped by the science geeks and then they sent me into the future." They walked through the muddy tunnel. Alona was thankful for the cool air, it felt fresh.

"Science geeks?" He asked, glancing back over his shoulder at her.

"Yeah, they're the guys in the Science Club." She thought back to that night, "They had me chained up, then there was a loud humming, and a bright light. Then I passed out. I was uh.. snooping around their building at night, for a story." She frowned at the memory.

"You said for a story, so are you a writer?" He asked as he began walking again.

"I was a journalist for the newspaper at my college." She thought about her dream with creepy Meg. Chills ran up her spine.

"I read about Earth before the battle with the moon. I always had imagined myself as a police officer." He stopped to rest, "Or a soldier." 

She nodded, "Yeah, you definitely fit the stereotype."

He turned to look at her, one eyebrow raised, "You wanted to be a reporter?" He asked.

"Yes. I did." She didn't know if that future was still available to her. Would she just vanish? Would she be stuck here forever? Her future would be completely different now.

"But who knows now." She said after a few moments of silence.

"Probably best to focus on staying alive for right now." He replied, not knowing what to say.

She nodded.

They didn't talk much after that, only to discuss which turn they thought was best.

----

Arlo stopped suddenly. He held his hand out, signaling for her to stop.

"What is it?" She whispered, trying to look over his shoulder.

"It's a lake." He said sounding surprised.

She moved to his side, sure enough, there was a huge lake it flowed off into a rushing river. The tunnel opened up into a huge area. Their lights made the river seem to glow.

"Woah." She said.

He began carefully stepping down the path that led to the lake.

As he reached the water's edge he pulled out a black stick and stuck it into the water. It beeped three times and he pulled it out.

"It's clean. We'll camp here for a but and refill our bottles." He said as he plopped his bag down.

She refilled their bottles, and then she sat down and watched the water. The water made the tunnel much colder.

"I think I know where we are." Arlo said.

Alona turned to look at him, "How?"

"An acquaintance of mine has a bath house. He told me an underground lake feeds his bath house with clean, safe water." He said, nodding towards the lake. 

Alona turned back to the water, "Sure is beautiful." She said. The reflection of the water glistened against the roof of the cave.

He nodded in response. He pulled his jacket out of his bag and tossed it to her, he had noticed her shivering.

"Thanks." She replied.

"I'll take first watch." He said as Alona's eyes grew heavy.

She cuddled up to his jacket and laid down. Soon she was asleep.

----

Don't forget to vote!

Sawyer :)