Chapter 21

Alona was standing in a field. She was surrounded by nothing but flowers. The wind blew through her hair. She gasped at her brown hair. She twisted it in between her fingers, checking to see if it was real.

"Hey." She heard a voice say.

Arlo slowly walked up to her, he was smiling. He wore blue jeans and a button up plaid shirt with his sleeves rolled up past his elbows.

She stared at him. He looked so comfortable.

She felt concern creep into her stomach.

She looked up at the sky it was sunny but there was no color. She should see a blue sky and white fluffy clouds but instead, she saw a gray, bland sky.

She looked back at Arlo. He smiled at her.

Suddenly she heard a loud pop and a scream behind her.

She turned around and saw a girl fall to the ground. Blood stained her white dress.

It was Meli. Her heart sank.

The flowers were suddenly replaced with dead grass.

She heard a thud. She turned back around to see that Arlo had fallen to the ground, blood seeped through his plaid shirt, his eyes were closed.

She began breathing hard.

She looked down at her hands. She held a pistol in her right hand.

She heard laughter, "You didn't have the strength to save them, did you? Even though you could have. You had a gun in your hand and you let them die!" The king Arlo had killed stood over Arlo's body. He held a gun his hand.

Alona's entire body shook. He stepped forward and poked her left arm hard, "You did this."

Where he poked her, burnt. She dropped the gun and held her arm. She fell to her knees and cried out in pain.

Tears streamed down her face.

The dead king was gone and she was alone surrounded by darkness.

----

Arlo stopped walking when Alona began to twist in her sleep. He had made good time. They were about a half an hour outside the Rebel City.

He laid her down, then sat down next to her. His arm was burning, blood trickled down his arm and dripped off his elbow. He would need the bullet out as soon as they got to the town.

Alona sat straight up out of her sleep. Then she grabbed her arm and laid back down, immediately regretting her previous actions.

He knelt down next to her.

"You alright?" He asked. She was breathing heavy.

"Nightmares." She said. She looked around.

"We are about half an hour outside of the Rebel City." He said. He could tell she didn't recognize their surroundings.

She stared at him, "You carried me the entire way?"

He nodded.

"You were hit, too?" She stared at his arm.

"Yeah, your body slowed it down, though." He smirked.

"I'm glad I could be a human shield for you." She closed her eyes and laid her head back.

"Not much of a shield, you didn't even stop the bullet." He chuckled.

She shook her head and laughed.

She carefully sat up, "We should get going. Before anyone else decides to test how well of a human shield I am."

He nodded. "We'll rest every couple of minutes."