Chapter 22

Arlo was surprised that they hadn't seen or heard anyone the entire way through the Dead Zone. They were three buildings away from the bridge and the storm drain. Under the bridge lay the entire Rebel City.

He slipped into the next building and signaled for Alona. She slid in through the window as silently as he had. They began their routine of searching the building then finding a place to cross to the next.

Arlo stepped into the kitchen, a door was wide open. He stopped. It was swinging loose in the wind. He carefully stepped towards the door.

Alona jerked twice on his belt loop.

He looked back at her. She shook her head.

Arlo kept walking towards the door, if it slammed shut it would give away their position. He grabbed the handle and closed it.

Alona jerked again on his belt loop. She was oddly jittery in this building.

He backed out of the room. Alona was extremely uneasy.

Arlo turned around, he stepped into the side room. Something wrapped around his ankle. There was a soft click. He looked down, a string was laying on his boot. He immediately knew what is was.

He turned and tackled Alona. She cried out in pain as they slammed against the floor.

The room they were just in exploded. Flames licked the bottom of their boots. Alona held her arm. Arlo slung Alona over his shoulder and bolted out the back.

He kicked down the back door of the next building, then set Alona down. He peered out the window. He knew the fire lit up the entire surrounding area. Every person within a couple of miles knew that someone was here. He watched the flames engulf the second floor.

"We need to hide." Arlo pulled Alona up. She was crying silently. He knew she couldn't handle much more, he would hate for her to pass out and him have to carry her. He moved to the kitchen.

He laid Alona down against the wall. She laid her head back. He pushed a dresser against the door hoping to barricade it. To his surprise, there was a small hatch in the floor where the dresser had been. Arlo opened it and stepped down the stairs.

Alona watched him through heavy lids.

She was going to pass out, she knew she would.

She heard shouting behind her.

Arlo came back up the steep stairs. He scooped up Alona and carried her down.

He closed the hatch behind them.

He crouched at the stairs, his rifle was aimed on the hatch door. He was taking no chances.

Alona was trying her hardest to keep her eyes open. She watched in an almost dream state, it sounded like she was under water. Everything was muffled.

The hatch opened and Arlo began firing. Blue beams exploded from the end of his gun, Arlo stayed still.

Alona tried to stay awake. She tried to hold her head up. She had to make sure he didn't get shot.

Her head bobbed and then she faded out.

----

Arlo had killed at least 8 men that had tried to come through the hatch. He hadn't been shot but he had been grazed 4 times, once with a laser gun. He laid beside Alona. She had passed out during the fire fight.

He stood up and scooped Alona up. He climbed the steep stairs, stepping over bodies that had tumbled down after he had shot them.

He carried Alona through the houses and building.

On the other side of the building was the bridge. He heard shouting behind him. More men were coming to find him. He knew they would try and follow him.

Alona woke with a gasp.

"Alona. It's okay." Her face was pale she was in shock.

She grabbed his face. "You've been shot." She pointed to the bloody cut above his eyebrow.

"I'll be fine." He replied as he jogged.

She closed her eyes and her head fell limp.

He put her on his back and wrapped her arms around his neck. He jogged through the rooms and out the back. He ran down the riverside slope and under the bridge. 

Under the bridge was a large, metal, overturned cylinder, used to let the water run under the bridge without eroding all of the dirt away.

He laid Alona down in the shallow water. Then he tapped on the side of the cylinder. A small sliding rectangle slid open. He took a card out of his and put it in front of the eye hole.

"Name?" Someone asked.

"Arlo. With guest." He answered.

The small opening slid closed. The invisible doorway moved inwards then slid to the left. The door was several inches thick. Even if someone knew where the city was they'd have a difficult time getting in.

He picked up Alona and carried her piggyback style into the city.

The door closed behind them.

They were immediately taken to the security room and relieved of their weapons. They searched Alona's and Arlo's backpack. They questioned Arlo about Alona's Polaroid camera, and he had explained that she was an antique enthusiast. After they had been searched they were sent to the infirmary.

He carried Alona on his back inside. A nurse with light purple hair showed him to a room. He placed Alona in the bed.

"She was shot in the arm." Arlo said, even though the wound was obvious.

The nurse began taking her vitals. She glanced over at Arlo, "You don't need to be in here. Another nurse will take you to your room."

He stood and walked out. He wanted to disagree, but he knew he had to obey the rules or they wouldn't treat Alona.

----

Sawyer. :)