Chapter 44

Alona couldn't help the tears that streamed down her face. Kozlov was monitoring Mr. Werner as he fired up the time machine. 

Alona couldn't understand why Mr. Werner was helping Kozlov. Alona wondered what he had been promised to participate in this or if he was just evil. 

"We're almost to full power." Mr. Werner said, "Just a few more moments and we will be ready to go." 

Alona thought she was going to puke. She couldn't go back. Arlo wouldn't know what happened to her, that is if he survived the onslaught of diseased people.

She was now back to where this all began. She was chained up, and about to be sent through time. 

The lights flickered as Mr. Werner began turning on the machine. Red pulsating lights began flashing overhead. 

Kozlov stepped away from the computers, "Damn it! That better not be another damn infected attack!" He yelled. 

As soon as he finished speaking a loud explosion erupted outside the room. Flames engulfed the doorway. The guards jumped into action. They ran out into the hallway to defend the room. 

Kozlov pulled his pistol from its holster, "Get that damn thing ready!" He screamed as he jogged towards the door. 

Alona could see the orange glow of fire outside in the hallway. Screaming and gunfire echoed through the room. Kozlov hid beside the doorway, anticipating an attack. Returning gunfire meant that it was definitely not diseased people.

In the doorway came Jerr and a few more men. In their hands were rifles and pistols of all different sizes. 

"Watch out!" Alona screamed as they came through the doorway. 

Kozlov began firing as he jogged backwards toward cover. He shot two of Drew's men, as they retreated back out the door. Kozlov hid behind a metal desk. He peeked over the desk and fired at the doorway. Drew's men hid outside the door and only leaned out occasionally to fire into the room.

Alona watched helplessly as the men struggled to hit Kozlov, then a familiar face appeared through the doorway.

His black eyes would have scared her any day, but in these circumstances, they were her sign of hope.

Nik told the men to cease firing, then yelled in the door, "Brother?"

Alona felt her heart drop and shatter into a million pieces. All her hope was gone as it suddenly hit her; Nik had to have been the spy.

"Nik?" Kozlov began to smile, "Is that you, brother?"

Nik, with hands raised in surrender, slowly walked in the door, "It has been a long time." Nik smiled. He glanced at Alona, then at Mr. Werner. 

Kozlov aimed his gun at Nik, "Yes it has." He glanced at the doorway, "Seems you're on the wrong side."

Nik laughed, "Why do you think I'm here."

Kozlov watched him for a moment, then lowered his gun. 

Nik, his hands still raised, turned to the door, "I will close. Privacy." He said.

Alona watched as Nik forced the door closed, at the last second she saw Feliks move into the doorway. He mock-saluted her as the door closed shut. His strange smile seemed to revive some of her hope.

Kozlov walked up to Nik slowly, then they shook hands. 

"Whats going on here?" Nik asked, gesturing to Alona and Mr. Werner. 

Kozlov smiled, "Come, brother, I will show you." He placed his hand on Nik's shoulder and led him to where Mr. Werner stared into a computer screen. Nik was much bigger than Kozlov, there was no doubt about that.