prologue ☼

"And I want those essays handed in on Monday. Otherwise, I'll simply give you a zero."

   The class groaned in response.

   Mr Clifford rolled up a sleeve to his button-up shirt, revealing his silver watch.

   "There's five minutes left. I want you to carefully think what you're going write your essay about. No talking."

   The class, including Calum, didn't think about the dumb essay. Calum's eyes were fixed on the clock perched up on the wall.

   Only four minutes left now.

   His friend, Luke, nudged him. "This new teacher is a hunk, holy shìt." Calum rolled his eyes, but agreed. "He sure is, mate."

   "Care to share with the class, boys?" Mr Clifford waited for a reply before the door opened, saving Luke and Calum from any further embarrassment.

   Ashton, a TA and former grade 12 student of the previous year, walked in and to the teacher. They had a discussion that lasted about two minutes before he was dismissed.

   Calum was only in 10th grade, meaning Ashton was three years older than him.

   "You," the teached pointed at Calum. The teen gulped and asked, "Me, sir?"

   "Yes, you. Do I look cross-eyed to you?" he joked before Calum shook his head in serious. "No, sir."

Michael rubbed his forehead, closing his eyes and chuckling slightly.

   "It was a rhetorical question, boy. I want to see you after class so just stay behind please."

   The boy only nodded, being nudged by Luke who was wiggling his eyebrows. He pinched his shoulder, silently telling him to stop with his childish behaviour.

   Well not silently. Luke let out a very manly squeal.

   The ringing bell came sooner than expected and Calum was overjoyed that he had to stay behind. Note the sarcasm.

   Luke didn't waste time and rushed out of the class after telling Calum he'll wait at his car for him.

   The brunette made his way to Mr Clifford's desk, making him look up at him with his green eyes.

    Calum blurted out, "Sorry for talking in class."

   The teacher laughed, wiping his red fringe out of his eyes. "Not a problem. I just need you to help carry some boxes, that's all."

   Calum nodded and looked around the room. Mr Clifford was reading through a paper and not saying anything.

   He looked out of the window, seeing students leave the school grounds, ready for the weekend.

   He, too, was looking forward to spend his time doing absolutely nothing.

   "Okay," the older man mumbled, getting up from his chair. He stretched his back and Calum couldn't help but stare as his shirt rode up and slightly exposed some of his back.

   "They're in my car," he informed, leading Calum out of the classroom. The younger boy nodded, and followed him to his teacher's black Jeep.

Mr Clifford opened the trunk and immediately handed Calum one of the boxes. Before he picked up another box, he rolled up the sleeves to his shirt and unbuttoned the top button of it.

He picked up a box and they made their way back to the classroom, which was unfortunately at the end of a long passage.

"The Australian sun is satan today," Mr Clifford commented, placing the box down next to where Calum placed his down.

The brunette only laughed and hummed in agreement. He's always been a bit of an awkward person.

"Aren't you getting a bit hot?"

"Wh-Wha- excuse me?" Calum trembled over his words. "You're still wearing your blazer, my boy. If you faint, I'm going to be the one in trouble."

To that, Calum shrugged his blazer off and gave a grateful smile as Mr Clifford took it and placed it in the back of his car.

The pair took another box each, making their way back in silence. Just as Calum was about to walk back out of the class, he felt a hand on his shoulder, sending chills down his spine.

"Thanks for helping me, kid."

Green eyes met brown and nothing else mattered to the younger boy as he nodded awkwardly, the corners of his lips tugging up slightly.

But realisation hit him. He was and will only ever be a kid to him, so he tried his best to stop thinking about Mr Clifford as anything more than his english teacher.

When they finished transferring all of the boxes, there was only a small layer of sweat on both of their forehead. "Thanks again," Mr Clifford patted his back.

Calum only smiled and shrugged as they walked out. He texted Luke earlier to go on without him, so he did.

Once Calum retrieved his blazer, Mr Clifford looked like he wanted to say something as he pulled it on. "Would you... like a ride, my boy?"

The brunette didn't know if that was considered inappropriate. Getting into your teacher's car.

"If that's not a problem."

Mr Clifford gave a warm smile. "It certainly isn't. Hop in!"

The drive was silent, the only conversation containing Calum's directions to his house. "This one," he pointed to his home.

"Alrighty," Mr Clifford pulled over, immediately getting out of the car, which confused the younger boy.

His teacher opened Calum's door for him, to which the younger boy quietly giggled. He fùcking giggled.

When Calum got out, he was somehow towered by Mr Clifford's tall figure. He looked up into his green eyes that were looking back down at his.

"See you on Monday," he patted Calum's shoulder, giving it a slight squeeze before walking around his car and back into his driver's seat.

As Calum walked up his driveway, he heard a honk which made his head turn to Mr Clifford slowly driving and waving enthusiastically.

Calum only waved shyly before rushing into his house, only to bump into Joy, his mother.

"Woah, what's got you all flustered?" she laughed, cupping her son's cheeks.

He released himself from her grip, muttering a quiet 'nothing' before running down the hallway and into his room.

Taking out his phone, he called Luke to come and hang out.

a/n: is this worth reading?