15) Disappearing Act

"You're never gonna believe what happened to me yesterday." Maddie said, upon entering Mrs. Gale's class first period, the next day.

"What?" Nia asked, sharpening a pencil while Kendall played with a curl of her hair.

Maddie leaned forward so that only they could hear each other, "I'm going to tell you...but you have to promise you're not going to scream," She glanced at Kendall, "Especially you."

"What?" Kendall protested, crossing her arms.

"Tell us." Nia said, excitement both in their brown eyes.

Maddie let out a deep breath, "Okay...yesterday while I was at Gino's house, Kalani texted Gino and sent him pictures. I got super mad and stormed out, but then Gino caught me and we started arguing on his front yard. Then, in the heat of the moment, I told him I liked him, and ended up spilling my guts to him. He just stood there for a moment before he kissed me and he admitted that he liked me too!"

Kendall's eye's widened, and her mouth stretched into a wide grin as she literally shook with ecstatic energy. "OH MY GOSH MADS, THAT'S SO GREAT! I'M SO HAPPY FOR YOU! SQUEEEEEE-"

Maddie had to clamp her hand on Kendall's mouth, but it didn't stop the perplexed stares students were sending their way. Maddie glared at Kendall, and she shrugged sheepishly.

"Is there a problem back there, Miss Ziegler?" Mrs. Gale asked, sending a sharp look with her narrowed eyes.

"No Mrs. Gale, everything is fine." Maddie lied quickly, and gave her teacher a quick smile to confirm it.

Mrs. Gale eyed them suspiciously for a few more moments, before her phone rang and she went to pick it up. Maddie then promptly turned back to glare at the brunette. Nia was chuckling the whole time, and Maddie removed her hand from covering Kendall's mouth.

"Really?" Maddie said with annoyance, "I told you not to scream!"

"I'm sorry, I just couldn't help it!" Kendall professed, the excitement began to bubble up in her again, "After all these years of secretly shipping you two, I'd knew the day would come! Ooh, does Chloe know? Are you guys dating now? How many kids you think you'll have? Is Gino taking you to the dance? Is he a good kisser? Do you think-"

"Kendall!" Maddie hissed, as the stares returned to them again, "Too loud."

"Oh, sorry!" Kendall gushed, "I'm just so happy right now! You don't know how long I've waited for you to get a boyfriend!"

"Okay, I'm talking to Nia now." Maddie deadpanned, turning to Nia.

"This is great though, I really am happy for you." Nia said honestly, and Maddie smiled.

"I know it's just...wouldn't it be a little weird if Gino and I just started dating? Like two people who supposedly hated each other so much that if one was on fire, the other one would rather roast marshmallows than extinguish it just started dating out of the blue?"

Nia snorted, "Roasting marshmallows?"

Maddie ran her fingers through her slightly tangled hair, "That's not the point. Gino and I confessed sure, but does this even mean we start dating automatically? And how am I even supposed to suddenly be affectionate to him in the hallways and stuff? Not to mention, it will weird people out."

Nia nodded thoughtfully, "Huh. That is true."

"Hey guys!" Kendall protested furiously, "Don't budge me out, I want to be in this conversation too!"

Maddie rolled her eyes, and Nia just shook her head.

But the bell rang, and they were forced to turn around and pay attention as Mrs. Gale began her routinely mundane lecture. Maddie still wasn't even sure where she stood with Gino, but she was slightly relieved he decided to skip first period today. She sighed, turning around in her seat.

XXX

Gino hadn't shown up all day. Not even to seventh period, and Maddie had to dance with Archer Matthews, the most disgusting boy in school who smelled like a rotten-cheesed covered skunk.

It was absolutely embarrassing, not to mention his vile, infamous stench rubbed off on her since they had to be so close. She was actually thankful that gym was her last period, so when she goes home she can scrub herself down with bleach.

She was getting into her new car, a silver Honda Civic, and put the car into reverse, backing up when her car was suddenly collided with a large thud.

Maddie let out a small shriek as something groaned loudly, and she hopped out of the car quickly, running over to see Gino on his back, his hands rubbing at his head.

"Gino?! What the heck!?" Maddie nearly screeched, before crouching down to help him up.

Gino let out another soft groan before giving her a soft smile, "Hey."

"Hey?!" Maddie snapped, "What's wrong with you?! Who throws themselves at a moving vehicle?! You could be hurt-"

He just shook his head, finally standing to his feet, "I'm not hurt...but you might've wounded my pride a little."

Maddie rolled her eyes, "I have no time for jokes, Gino. What do you want? And why weren't you in class today?"

Gino light expression darkened, and Maddie stiffened. He just stood there, his coffee colored eyes wide, anguish clearly written across his face. Maddie was growing worried.

"Gino," she stepped closer to him, "Tell me what's wrong."

Slowly, reluctantly, his mouth fell open. "My father...he's dead. "

Maddie's heart felt like it plummeted to the ground.

XXX

Sorry it's a little short! Next chap will be longer for sure.

Vote and Comment!