16) Parking Lot Talks

Heyoo! If you hadn't already known, I was originally planning on updating Friday, but my internet went down *sniffles* and I was without it for a WHOLE WEEKEND!!

So sorry to all my lovely readers!  And I offer you this chapter as a peace offering ;)

Enjoy :D

XXX

"What?" The question fell out of her mouth before she really had time to think it over.

"My father," Gino let out a sigh, leaning against the back of her car, "He died, Maddie."

Her blue eyes were wide, her mouth hung open but no words coming out. Maddie felt paralyzed, her arms and legs refused to move. Suddenly, she wasn't standing in the parking lot with Gino at her side.

She was at the graveyard, thunder crackling loudly in the sky as rain poured down from the dark clouds. Black umbrellas were up everywhere, and the silence was so haunting that it gave her the shivers. She watched as they lifted the casket down into the ground, how the rainwater rolled off of the dark brown wood, and she felt her heart clench painfully in her chest.

Tears were already streaming down her face, mixing with the rainwater. Her mother was clutching her hand, squeezing just a little too hard, but Maddie couldn't even feel it. She was completely numb, watching her father being lowered to the ground, never to be seen again.

She missed him so much that  it hurt to breathe.

And as another roll of thunder came rumbling in, she lost it. Letting out a anguished shriek, she turned and ran. Ran away from the burial ceremony, ran away from all those people standing solemnly with their black umbrellas.

She was running so fast that she tripped over a small tombstone, and fell in the slightly muddy ground. The ground was cold and bitter, like how she was feeling. 

Cold and bitter. More tears streamed down her face, and lightning flashed above.

Her eyes snapped open, and a small whimper escaped her mouth, before her legs felt numb and she dropped to the ground. 

In a flash, Gino was right beside her, "Woah Maddie, are you okay?"

Her breaths were heavy as she tried to blink away the tears. Gino's warm hands wrapped around her waist, slowly pulling her back up to her feet as she managed to wipe the tears out of her eyes. 

"Maddie? Madison? Are you-"

She had to clear her vision so that his face wasn't so blurry anymore. Finally, she could make out his coffee colored eyes and handsome face.

"Gino," She murmured softly, "I'm so sorry."

He looked down at the ground, "It's okay, I-"

"No," She interrupted, "It's not okay."

She could feel his arms tighten around her waist. He bit his lip, still not making eye contact with her, "I don't know what to do anymore. My family's broken, and I don't think we can fix it."

She wrapped her shaky arms around his neck, pulling him into a hug. They just stayed that way for a while, in the parking lot holding each other. Maddie could tell Gino was crying, even if he was only sniffling softly. She could also feel his shoulders shake a bit, so she just held him tightly, determined to  comfort Gino.

She knew how it felt to loose someone. They both knew. This wasn't something new, but it still hurts all the same. 

A long time had passed before Gino finally pulled away from her shoulder, his eyes were slightly puffy, and his normally smooth dark hair was messy as he ran his fingers through it.