25) A Night to Remember pt 2

HOLY CRAP!

After one month of getting my crap back together (only to lose it 2 days later) I've finally managed to get on with updating stuff on wattpad, so yay! Sorry for the long wait, honestly this chapter was not meant to take this long.

I want to thank @kenziegrande  and cameron_cutie for pushing me to get this chapter up as well!

*Slowly fades away into the background*

XXX

For a moment, the world seemed to stand still. Time was frozen and everything around her was dull and motionless. Maybe she was being overdramatic, but that's exactly what she felt when Matt had muttered lowly the news.

Gino's in trouble...

And then, the world begin to spin again. Everything around her was moving and buzzing with the excitement of the dance, while the small little brunette stood staring at the eldest Cosculluela. 

"Gino..." Maddie mumbled breathlessly, no sure if she slipped and fell into a coma. Where she was having a horrible nightmare.

"Maddie? Hello?" Matt quickly snapped her back into reality, "Maddie, are you okay? Do I need to get a nurse?"

Maddie shook her head, "We got to go get him."

it was Matt's turn to shake his head, "No way, this is dangerous."

"Dangerous how?"

"They're gangsters, Maddie. Apparently our father owed their boss a lot of money, and since he's dead, the burden fell on us." His dark brown eyes slid to the floor.

Maddie already made the connection, "So that's why you've been gone."

Matt nodded reluctantly, and sighed, "I tried, I tried to scrap up enough money to pay them off. But the debt was too big. And then I made the dumb mistake of killing his collector, so now they're really after us. I was gonna grab Gino and run away, try and go someplace new to start over but-" Furiously, Matt turned and punched the wall right next to Maddie, causing her to yelp in surprise.

"I'M SUCH AN IDIOT!" He yelled, but it was only heard by Maddie over the pounding music.

"Matt, you got to calm down," Maddie mollified, trying to calm down the elder brother. 

"But I screwed up!" Matt protested, "And because of my screw-up, Gino's gonna pay the-"

"We don't have time to talk about your screw-up!" Maddie snapped, pushing away the guilty feeling when his wide, sad eyes darted to her blue ones. They were broken, and swelled with desperate hope. Hope that Maddie wasn't sure she could give, but she would damn well try. 

"Listen to me Matt," Maddie said firmly, "The more we sit here and listen to you sulk only increases his danger. You need to focus, forget about what you did in the past and just focus on now. You need to tell me everything you know about this gang and you need to help me come up with a plan."

"We can't call the cops," Matt said quickly, and Maddie raised an eyebrow.

"Why the hell not?"

"I've...done some low, shady things for that gang. I'm tied to them, in a way. It just won't go over smoothly."

Maddie didn't bother asking him to elaborate.  She couldn't blame him, after all it was their father who had unintentionally gotten them into the mess in the first place. Instead, she nodded and crossed 'calling cops' of he mental list. "Okay, no cops. Got it. Tell me something about the location."