21) Parking Lot Talks pt 2

Yeesh. Sorry, it's been so long. Just got done with one exam *wipes sweat off forehead* But I can't say that updates will be more frequent. I'm just telling you guys now to expect slower ones, that are probably 2 to 3 weeks apart. 

Btw, this song is really pretty and I thought it was perfect for this one. Enjoy the chappie!

XXX

With a tiny click, the locks were released, and Maddie swallowed hard. For some reason, it felt like all her walls were being torn down again, just by letting him into the car. Was she really ready to trust Gino again?

Gino moved away from the window and opened the door, silently climbing in to the passenger's seat. Once he was in, and the door was closed, a thick, heavy silence settled itself in the air, and Maddie was growing more uncomfortable by the minute.

He didn't even notice her, but instead chose to stare hard out ahead at the little children running around on the playground. For a moment, she thought he had just started zoning out, and was startled when he spoke.

"It wasn't a game...at least, not now."

"What?" Maddie blurted out, slightly taken aback by his words.

He finally turned to her, and her heart jumped at the sight of the wistful look in his coffee colored eyes. "I admit, at first, it was a game. At first I just bothered you persistently because to be honest, I didn't like the fact that a girl like you could resist me. Ever read Taming of the Shrew?" 

Maddie just blinked, but nodded her head slowly.

Gino shook his head in amusement, "Well, you remind me of Katherine. You were a loud,snarky,  opinionated, pretty girl who could damn well stand her own ground. You were nothing like all the other girls at school, and you still aren't.

You were different, something new and interesting. I had my eye on you for a long time, and you're right, at the beginning it was all just a game. As much as you're different attitude intrigued me, my pride simply refused you getting the better of me. I knew I couldn't flirt your pants off...not without getting punched in the face at least, so I annoyed the living hell out of you. I did anything I could, just to prove to myself I was..."He trailed off, sighing, "I don't know. You know how we are, prideful and stuff."

Maddie just grimaced, "Yeah...sure."

"But then I changed," He started, looking her right in her eyes, "When you tutored me, I saw more sides of you. I saw that you could be fun, cute, entertaining, smart, and all these other things. And eventually, over time, I started to...." He trailed off again, running his hands through his hair, which was in dire need of a haircut, "You know I actually studied, after you were gone? I don't know, something about you, the way you taught me...it made me want to go the extra mile for you, to make you happy. So I studied extra even when you left, and I tried to please you a lot more."

Maddie was mildly surprised, "You did?"

He nodded, "Yup. For a long time, I didn't know what to do with myself. I just tried to keep it cool when I was around you because I didn't want to freak you out or anything, but there was no denying what you did to me. And after the whole party thing, I knew the answer was pretty clear; I fell for you. And I wanted to be more than your friend, ever since. I was trying to think of a way to break it to you, but you kinda beat me to the punch when with our last argument..."

Maddie couldn't help but smile fondly at the memory, and she chuckled softly, "Oh."

"Yeah..."Suddenly, Gino's hand was on hers, and squeezing it gently, "Look Maddie, you can think whatever you want about me, but hear me out. I am not the same guy I was a few months ago, I've changed, you changed me. I respect your opinions and wishes, and all I want to do now is keep you happy and safe. You made me want to be a better person, a better boyfriend, and I've been trying my hardest to do just that."