18) Crestfallen

Sorry about it late. Heavy snowstorm last night and the power went out :(

XXX

"Wow, that's so cute!" Kendall gushed, examining the necklace around Maddie's neck.

"Thanks." Maddie felt her face flush. 

"So, it's official now. You two are dating." Nia said, and Maddie nodded.

"Well, I'll be damned. I thought Maddie would never get a boyfriend." Chloe said, causing Kendall and Nia to chuckle, while Maddie's blue eyes pinned her with a glare.

"Oh, shut up." She growled half-heatedly.

"What? I'm just sayin'...and Gino of all people?" Chloe let out a low whistle, "Wow."

"Do you think he'll ask you to the dance?" Nia wondered, looking back at Maddie.

Maddie shook her head, "Doesn't matter. I've told you guys a million times, I'm not going."

They all simultaneously rolled their eyes.

"What if Gino asks you?" Kendall prompted.

Maddie crossed her arms, "He's got enough to deal with already. I'm pretty sure the dance is the last thing on his mind."

The four girls fell into a somber silence as they were reminded of Gino's father's death. 

"Hey, how about we go to the mall after school?" Kendall suggested, trying to lift the mood. The girls all responded at the same time.

"Sure."

"I guess."

"Alright."

XXX

The girls lounged in the large food court, pulling two tables together to make it four. Chloe had bought them all chocolate milkshakes, claiming that "Maddie finally had a boyfriend" was valid enough to celebrate.

The whole mall was surprisingly packed for a Wednesday, and Maddie felt her nose scrunched up in disgust at all the other food scents mixed together. It was just like their school cafeteria, only a little better. 

"You know, we all haven't hung out together in a while," Kendall starts, taking another sip of her milkshake, "We really need to do this more often. And plus, Maddie's a great friend and all but she's not the best companion when it comes to parties."

Chloe and Nia's eyebrows seemed to raise nearly past their hairlines.

"You went to a party...willingly?!" Chloe gasped, staring wide-eyed at Maddie.

Maddie snorted, twisting the beautiful jewel on her neck, "Of course not willingly. I was blackmailed into doing it."

"Oh," Chloe seemed to relax at that, "Yeah, that makes much more sense."

"Oh yeah, I remember," Nia said, "You were texting me about that."

"Did she tell you what her and Gino did at the party?" Kendall asked, wriggling her eyebrows.

Maddie felt the blush creep up her cheeks, "S-Shut up, Kendall."

Chloe groaned, "Please don't tell me you two..." She trailed off, before making an explicit gesture with her hands.

Maddie's face felt like it was on fire, "No! Hell no! We didn't...it was only a kiss, one kiss!"

"You know what they say kissing leads to," Kendall added, her glossy lips stretched into a taunting grin.

"I hate you all." Maddie grumbled, putting her head down on the table while the other three girls laughed.

But the laughter soon died, and faded into silence. Maddie raised her head curiously, only for her eyes to narrow when Kalani had sashayed up to their table. Oh, great.