t w o

NINA

I never truly believed in paranormal activities. Sure, my dad and I love horror films, and we'd always read about ghost stories and dress up really scary during halloween, but that's the thing. We don't believe it. It was all for fun.

I once read about third eye - it's this mystical fifth sense we have and we use it to see the other side. I tend to ignore these things before, but seeing him in front of me now, the first thought that came to my mind was -

Was my third eye opened the whole damn time?

He died. I saw his body. I watched as the coffin with his lifeless body in it lowered to the ground. Dad told me about his death while on duty.

But why am I seeing him right now?

He looked at me with his light blue eyes. There was something different. It didn't recognize me. He stared at me as if he was trying so hard not to let me see his pain.

Landon was never like that. To me, he was an open book. He opens himself to me and he trusted me to see who he really is.

But the man before me... I realized how long his golden - almost silver, under the warm sun - hair was. He wore a green tunic, that I do not why, and trousers that reached his ankle. His brown boots were a bit muddy - a lot of walking? This guy could be Landon - the resemblance is uncanny - but something tells me he's different.

I stepped back, staggering, my voice left me, little did I know that a speeding car was just a few meters away from me. I didn't have the time to react; and I stood there at the road waiting for the impact, when a hand reached out and pulled me out of the way. I found myself leaning at him, questions pounding on my head, but before I could even find my voice to ask them, he fainted right there and then. He fell right into my arms, and for once, I am thankful for the extra time I spent toning my body through volleyball. Although the man is a good feet taller than me, I held up his body just right.

I needed answers, but for now, they can wait. First thing I should do is to keep him safe.

"Okay, stranger, I need help here," I whispered to him, and he grunted in response. Good. He's half awake.

"Listen, I'm gonna walk you to my house, okay? I need help here," I placed his arm on my shoulders and motioned for him to walk. This was no biggie for me - I am always, always my best friend's resident driver when she's drunk. I've got practice and besides, my house is a few walks away.

Upon reaching our lawn, I have decided to drop the guy slowly and let him lie down for awhile on our field of bermuda grass. I jogged to the front door, aware of the curious glances my neighbors are sending me. With a sigh, I knocked and a few steps later, my father emerged with a frown.

"Hey, you got your keys, right? I was baking and you didn't have to knock a-"

I stopped him midsentence. "Dad, listen. I need your full understanding and cooperation here."

"Why what's the matter honey?" he asks, his icy blue eyes deep of concern. It's a Sunday, so he has his day off work - he teaches literature in my school - and now, he's resting after being stuck in school teaching a bunch of rowdy kids for five days (sometimes six). He started scanning the surroundings, and I grabbed his face and locked his gaze on mine.

"A guy saved my life," I started. He looked at me in panic, worry appears before his eyes. I rolled my eyes. "Daaaaad, I wouldn't be standing here if I wasn't okay. Anyway, so he goes up to me and saved me and bam! He fainted. He needs our help." I pointed at the blond guy at my back. He's still sprawled at grass, not moving. He's back is on us, so my father still cannot see his familiar face. Good. Knowing my father, if he sees him, he'd be hysterical, so it would be better if I have dropped him first on my sofa before dad asks the hardest questions.

"Okay, okay, sure. Come, give me a hand," he motioned for me to help him. He walked to the guy. Upon reaching his side, Dad raises his thick eyebrows at me, noticing the guy's long blond hair and green tunic.

"Maybe it's a costume," I offered. He sighed, than ordered me to help lift him. I placed the guy's left arm on my shoulders while Dad took his right. In a count of three, we lifted him up, and he groaned, as if he was drunk. I almost stifled a laugh.

Dad, still completely oblivious to the stranger's face, steadied his gaze on our opened front door. "Okay, man, we're gonna lay you down inside for awhile okay?" he whispered. Blondie just huffed, drained and exhausted. He must really be a long way from home.

I don't even know why my father would ask for my help. My Dad, standing six feet tall with a well built physique, would've done it all by himself. Oh well.

We dropped him on the couch, his pretty blond hair sprawled across his face. The guy breathed heavily, his chest rising every inhales. "Do you need aspirin?" Dad asks quietly.

Blondie, still half unconscious, made himself comfortable on the couch, straightening his back on it and tucks his hair beneath his ears. "Rest, I need. Thank you." He whispered. In a matter of seconds, his breathing steadied, falling into a deep sleep.

Meanwhile, Dad has his eyes fixed on him, jaw dropped. Oops. This is the hard part.

"Okay! We'll just be in the kitchen," I said rather too enthusiastically. By then my good looking of a father had started saying something, his gaze travelling from me to the stranger on our leather couch. "Let's go, Dad." I pulled my father's sleeve with all the strength I could muster, and he followed me, every step heavier than the rest.

I proceeded to leading him back to the kitchen where his dough was laid. A good looking father who bakes the best cookies? This is why my squad would rather hang out here than any sweet smelling cafe.

Before he could even ask me what the hell is happening, I hugged him like I always do, making my little girl charm work.

"Please don't be mad," I muttered to his chest. I looked up to him, frowning. His thick eyebrows does the same. He tried to open his mouth, but no sound came out. Instead, he hugged me back and kissed the top of my head.

Finally, after that little father-and-daughter moment we shared, he returned to his old self (which is kinda scary), and pulled back from the hug. He looked down on me and closed his eyes, as if a headache was building up on his temples.
"Nina, what the fucking hell?"

I raised an eyebrow. Damn, he's cursing, which only means one thing - I'm dead meat.

"Okay, okay, sorry," he added with a sigh, "but young lady, you've got some explaining to do."

I stepped back and took a seat from the counter. I motioned him to go back to making his dough, which he agreed with, despite the confusion and the growing fear inside him.

Once he was standing right across me, and he started separating small amount of dough into a tray, I started my side.

"I know you're worried, Dad, but truth be told, I have moved on. It's been 2 years now, and Mom's back to normal, and I am too, and I'm doing fine again in school, and Tiffany is almost married now - I'm sure she's fine. But Dad, I just need answers. And maybe, for the last time, say goodbye." He stopped molding his cookies, and threw me a worried look.

"Honey, we saw his body. He's gone now. He's not him. You know that right?"

"I know, Dad. I just want to know him. Landon would've wanted it."

He nodded, wave of understanding filled his eyes. We shared a look, and finally, he smiled. "Fine. He can join us for dinner if he want."

It's not a smart move - inviting some fainted stranger over to your house, leaving him all alone to your living room. Any witless man would've done it - sneak in, steal everything you can while the people who helped you bake some really good cookies in the next room, completely oblivious to your evil plans.

But he did just saved my life. And he did carry the face of someone not only I did know all my life, but I have loved so much as well.

Maybe it's stupid, but a part of me says I wouldn't regret it just yet.

---

this part feels a little meh. sorryyyyy
elle fanning for nina!!!

~ christel