t h r e e

LEGOLAS

As soon as I opened my eyes, I knew I was inside a chamber I have not grown to know. With a flash, I sit up tight, gathering my conscious, thinking how I got into this place.

I looked around and realized I was in a room - room full of objects and gadgets I do not have a name to. It was well lit, a light hung above me, walls painted white. Numerous paintings hung on the wall, some are just colors swirling together, others photos of two young children. In front of me stood a black frame right on top of an oak table. I can see my own reflection, my face a mask of confusion and fear. I am in trouble - I know that. But as always has been the case, I have to find a way. I have to go home.

"You're awake," A soft voice had said, and once again, I came face to face to the young girl who had helped me. I turned to her direction, and I suddenly had the chance to study her under the bright light.

She has the same blonde hair as mine. Long, it reaches just above her waist, and silky, following every move she makes. I watch as she tilts her head, waiting for an answer. Her eyes - I realized it was deep shade of blue - warmer, softer than it was before. It held a thought - as if she was questioning me of my existence - and yet I do not feel a slight intimidation watching them. It was too reassuring, too comforting. My eyes landed to the angles of her face that held less corners but more curves. Her lips, a light tint of fuchsia, turns into a smile, dimples showing. She looks young, and yet I felt I have known her longer. She resembled so much of someone I used to know, and yet no name was placed on that face.

To my surprise, the young human girl held out a hand, her fingers pointed at me. "Hi. I'm Nina. You saved my life, and I guess I just saved yours."

I stood up from my seat and faced her. Why is she giving me a hand? In return, I have decided to greet her in my own culture. I struck a fist on my chest and bowed. "Legolas Thranduillion. I am grateful for the help, young one. I do not know how to show my sincerest gratitude however, so please, feel free to express what service I can give you."

She slowly pulled back her hand, a flash of disappointment painted on her face, but before I could apologize, it changed into enthusiasm. "You can join us for dinner, perhaps?" She walked to my side, and I saw her strange garments. She seems to be wearing a blue shirt depicting a white horse with wings, a gold horn right above its face. Her purple trousers were loose, numerous leaping white rabbits on them. She wore a pair of comfortable sandals, pink cotton covering her toes. By the Valar! What dimension is this? I have never seen this kind of clothing in my whole elven life!

Her cheeks turned bright pink when she saw me looking at her eccentric choice of clothing. "Sorry I had to change into my pajamas..."

"No no no! I apologize. It was rude of me to judge." And I really am. Nina had done nothing but helped me recover (or at least  led me to a place I can rest). The least I can do is to ease her worries.

With that being said, she happily pulled me to another room - a kitchen? It was smaller than the other and packed with smaller oak doors hanging above the ceiling. Counter tops filled three walls and there, his back behind us, stood another mortal. He towered both of us, Nina and I. The girl pulled me to the high table located in the middle and tapped at the high chair, asking me to sit. I obeyed while Nina talked to the man - her father, I presume?

"Dad, Legolas is awake," she said, her voice resounding the small space, the mention of my name a bit strange on her tongue.

"Yeah, yeah I just need to finish serving this - all right, here." I sat straighter as the man turns to us, holding out a bowl on his right hand and plates on the other. My gaze went straight to his face that was still caught up with the shadow of the night. Slowly, as he moves nearer to the light, I saw his face.