s e v e n

LEGOLAS

The two were up early in the morning the next day. They found me wandering about in their backyard, absorbing the heat of the morning sun, inhaling the scent of the very first ever coffee I made for myself.

"Good morning," Nina yawned, joining me.
"You're always up early. Do you even sleep?"

I chuckled. "Haven't I mentioned before? My kind is quite exempted from the needs of a mortal being. I rarely need sleep."

She huffed. "That's unfair. And also pitiful. Sleep is a divine thing to experience, especially the long ones."

I laughed. "I sleep if needed. I am not quite immortal, you see."

She frowned, and then grabbed my cup and drink it all in one gulp.

"Hey!" I protested. She just smiled.

That signaled Tristan to appear with two cups, which I quickly snatched one from him before Nina gets it.

"Happy birthday Daddy!" she greeted her father with the warmest hug and the sloppiest kiss on the cheek instead.

"You are a year older Tristan, my warmest congratulations to you." He nodded with a smile.

"Oh yes! I have gifts! You two wait here." Nina rushed back inside, while Tristan and I settled on a bench, enjoying the coffee cup on our hands.

Nina came back carrying two boxes wrapped in blue paper, and a jar filled with pastries I have not seen before.

She handed one box and the jar to Tristan, who breathed a "thank you," before opening it.

"The gift is from me, while the cookies are from Mom. She said you used to love it, so she baked you some."

The gift was something sweet - a new book ("Because James Patterson just released a new novel," she said) and a striped long sleeved shirt.

"I have one too, so you better wear that tonight." She then turned to me and handed the other box. "For you."

I frowned. "But it's not my birthday."

"Yes, it's just so happens that I love shopping for people close to me so suck it up." They both chuckled and urged me to open it. I sighed and smiled.

Nina gave me a leather bound notebook ("Because someday I would love to read tales of your world," she said) and a shirt which color's coordinated with Tristan's.

"Because right now, I believe we are a team," she explained with a smile. We couldn't help it; Tristan and I acted out of impulse and while he cuddled the amazing girl before us, I gave her a tap on the back, afraid of violating her personal space, but then I felt a strong tug on my arm and before I knew it I was joining them in that short yet refreshing piece of warmth.

The morning was dedicated into helping Tristan get ready the food for later's feast. I was not exempted from the tasks and so the three of us cramped up the kitchen, dicing, slicing, mashing, baking, cooking - it was exhausting, and yet so entertaining, because while doing these Tristan explained to me every procedure, and Nina imitated him while he is not looking. I pretended to be neutral, acting all serious and curious while Tristan teaches me how to cook, while I laughed (quite a lot) watching Nina (mildly) backstab her father.

"Seriously," Nina said, "Do you know a single thing about cooking?"

I smiled sheepishly. "I sort of have people to do that for me..."

"Ah yes," Tristan butted in, "you're the - what do you call it? - the Woodland prince."

I let the sarcasm go, and instead, puffed my cheeks. "I am also a warrior, a soldier, and I fight with a bow and arrow."