"Special Snowflake Syndrome"

Mini rant.

It really bugs me when people say that genderfluidity isn't a thing and that it's just people making up an identity to feel special about themselves. And it isn't just cis people who say it.

I don't think many people wake up one day and think to themselves, "I want to feel special, so I'm going to make up a really confusing gender identity and then hide it from people. This is really going to work out nicely." It just doesn't make sense.

Every identity and orientation is technically created, or at least the name is. People didn't create genderfluidity to feel special, they named and defined how they felt. People can't help being genderfluid. People don't identify as genderfluid because they want to feel special, they do it because it explains how they feel. If someone feels a certain way and finds a word that describes it, you should be happy for them whether or not you explain it. Just because you don't experience it doesn't mean it isn't real for other people.

Friendly reminder that the only person allowed to label you is you. If you want to identify a certain way, do it. If you don't want to label yourself, don't. Let other people choose how they define (or don't define) themselves and stop accusing people of wanting to be special snowflakes.

-T (boy)