Name

Alright, a while ago (and I do mean awhile ago, it's been some time) I mentioned that I wasn't particularly fond of the name MK. I had only chosen it because, at the time, I didn't identify as something other than boy or girl very often. It was a nickname that I had already had, so I figured I would just use it. And the more I found myself using it, the more I thought of it as just that. A nickname. So I had been thinking about changing it.

Then I started thinking about all my names. Since I stuck with my birth name, I found myself mentally deadnaming myself (wow I used myself twice within 4 words, I'm such an awesome writer) no matter how I was feeling. And that, as time went on, I realized my gender was less and less strictly 'pink, blue, gray'. It was a bunch of things, muddled and hectic. I came to understand that a lot of times I wasn't sure where on the spectrum I fell, and it made it really hard to use the correct name, given the fact I had chosen my names with specifically 'pink, blue, gray' in mind. And that just isn't how I work anymore.

In my intro, I stated, "Personally, I usually fall under male, female, or neither. I go by different names depending on which gender I currently identify as."

But the more I learned about gender, the less I found myself to be easily placed within those categories, and the harder it became to name myself. Which made me feel confused quite often, with not being able to name myself and all that.

Basically this giant, useless, load of information has been to tell you I'm changing all my names. In my current situation I feel it would be easiest to just go by one. And who knows? Maybe I'll change my mind eventually.

But for now...

Hey, I'm Mikah. (pronounced Mike-uh) (I only included the pronunciation because my computer said it wrong).

I don't have a particular reason for choosing this name. It's close to my birth name so I figure there's not a lot of adjusting to do for myself or people who have known me personally for a really long time. I like the way it sounds, too. Why am I even trying to explain this, honestly? I don't think people need to have a reason for choosing a name.

Anyway, all I really wanted to say here is I changed my name, and I'm pretty happy with it so far.

-Mikah (agender)