Chapter 23

Kajal and Naina went home for Diwali. Some things didn't change. They put the rangoli just like last year. They bought new clothes and playfully tried to one up each other outfit wise just like when they were teenagers. Naina still tried to sneak out the sweets and Kajal still succeeded in eating the major share. Their mother and grandmother were experts at whipping up the best Diwali treats. When they came home, they were not the women they left behind. For that small period of time, they were little girls again, spoiled, happy and carefree. But it was time to return to the real world.

Diwali was always a big deal at the firm. They went all out and planned a full-fledged event and hired the best event planners to ensure no stone was left unturned. They hired a big hall at a plush hotel with fancy caterers and set a dress code. It was the place to be and Kajal couldn't afford to miss that.

Back at the apartment, Naina plonked herself on Kajal's bed and asked, "So..."

Kajal pushed her away and laid her outfit for the evening on the bed. Naina felt the material and sighed lightly. She looked up at her sister and said, "Man, this is so beautiful! And the colour is lovely. It will look great on you!"

Kajal smiled and pinched her sister's chin affectionately to say, "Thank you sweetheart! Now I need to get ready. What earrings do you think would look good with this?"

Her sister hopped off the bed excitedly and surveyed the jewellery box carefully. After a few moments, she pulled out a pair of gold earrings and held them out for her sister to see. Kajal looked at them and nodded. They were the first pieces of jewellery she had bought right out of law school. They were antique gold and had several small gold leaves attached to a slim chain. They made a ghungroo like sound every time she moved her head. The light noise is what attracted them to her in the first place.

They got her ready and true to her nature, she was ready before time. Her sister brought out the digital camera and clicked several pictures. Kajal laughed uninhibitedly and felt her prettiest. She slipped her feet into the strappy gold heeled shoes, picked up the matching clutch and made her way to the lift, Naina waving happily in her wake.

She reached the venue and met Deepa at the entrance. She was dressed in a floor-length off-white anarkali with a very stylish updo and looked stunning. Kajal complimented her but Deepa waved them away and took Kajal's hands and twirled her around to note, "Kajal, you look...phenomenal, my dear!"

Kajal smiled widely and her face lit up further. They walked into the hotel and reached the entrance of the hall quickly enough. There was a large, ornate mirror set right outside the huge wooden doors. It seemed to add to the opulent grandeur of the décor. Deepa held out a hand to stop her and said, "Hold on a minute. My hair seems to have slipped a bit from its bun. Can you hold my purse? I want to adjust it."

Kajal accepted the purse and stood waiting. She turned slightly and faced herself in the mirror. Her gaze shifted to something behind her in the mirror and her heart skipped a beat. She watched Vikramaditya walk towards them. He was still a fair distance away from her though. His stride was confident until he saw her. Then it just slowed down. She didn't turn back. She just continued to look at him in the mirror. He was dressed in a snug, full-sleeved, black bandhgala kurta set and looked so handsome that Kajal couldn't look away even if she wanted to. Not that she was trying that hard. And nor was he.

He was now only a few feet away from her now. He studied her reflection as though he had all the time in the world. He took in her deep red saree with the black and gold border, her hair which was for a change, left open and now reached her waist with little waves, some here and some there. The earrings got a special glance and a small smile. But he stopped short at her eyes. Her eyes that were usually hidden behind glasses were done up today in smoky colours and elegantly lined with...kajal.

He was right behind her now. She turned around and gave him a questioning glance. He gave her an adoring look coupled with a brilliant smile that seemed to hold nothing back. Unable to remain as nonchalant as she wanted, she gave him a small smile of her own. Deepa interrupted their silent exchange and exclaimed, "Shall we go in Kajal? Vikramaditya, is that you? Very dapper, I must say!"

Vikramaditya turned his attention towards Deepa and smiled to say, "Me? Please! You look beautiful, Deepa."

Deepa thanked him graciously and looked over to Kajal to say, "Shall we?"

Kajal extended her hand, looped it with Deepa's and walked away.

Author's Note: Now you see why Chapter 23 is one of my favourites?? You see? You see? You see? Lol sorry, I got excited! Lots more to come in Chapter 24 and guess what? Bonus chapter coming up in a few minutes! I know right? :D No need to wait to find out what happens next and all. :D Seeya sooooooper soon! And many thanks for reading! - S