Chapter 26

Kajal turned on the TV for a change after coming home from work. She flipped channels until she found an old show that she used to love as a child and tucked her feet in, settling for the night. Noodles and soda ready on a tray, she pushed a cushion behind her to sit more comfortably when the door opened. She looked up to see Naina let herself in. She saw the show, pointed at the TV happily and said, "Oh my God! They still play this? Move over!" She sat on the sofa and picked up the bowl of noodles. Then she looked at her sister and asked, "There's more for you, right?"

Her sister nodded and walked over to the kitchen to bring a new bowl for herself. That's when she heard Naina call her name oddly. She peered over the adjoining wall and asked, "What?"

Naina pointed at the balcony and asked, "Um...why is this door closed?"

Kajal shrugged and said, "I didn't get around to going out today. I just wanted to watch TV. So what?"

Naina turned the TV off and patted the space next to her on the sofa. Kajal brought her food and sat where she was told to sit. Naina said simply, "Spill."

Kajal took a bite of her noodles and said, "What? There's nothing to say."

Naina shook her head and said, "Kajal, I know you think you're good at hiding things but I know you better than you know yourself. That balcony door is never shut when you're home. What gives?"

Kajal continued to eat. Naina got irritated and pulled the bowl from her hands to say, "Stop eating and tell me!"

Kajal pulled the bowl back from her and said, "I will tell you but I will not stop eating."

"Whatever. As long as you talk."

After a considerable amount of time and two empty bowls, Naina looked at her sister in complete confusion. She then asked as calmly as she could, "What are you going to do about it?"

Kajal shot up one eyebrow and asked, "What? There is nothing to do. You asked for the story. I gave you the story. Now shush. I need to watch TV."

Naina pulled the remote out of her reach and squawked, "TV? Um...didn't you just pay attention to the story you just told me?"

Kajal rolled her eyes and chose not to comment. Naina put one hand on her forehead and said, "Kajal...I am going to try and explain this in the simplest way possible. So try and pay attention. He likes you. I think you like him too. What is holding you back?"

Kajal chose to remain quiet at this as well. Naina dug her phone out of her pocket and started scrolling for something. A few minutes later, she held the phone for her sister to see and said, "Look at this picture. Tell me what you see."

Kajal looked at the picture and saw...Sumeet with a girl. They looked...happy and...married. She took the phone from her sister's grasp and zoomed in the picture to look at it more carefully. The facts remained unchanged.

Naina said, "You see? He's married to someone now. Why are you putting your life on hold because of something he did three years back? Okay tell me one thing honestly...Do you like Vikramaditya?"

Kajal blinked and answered almost immediately, "Yes."

Naina smiled and asked, "Do you want to be with him?"

She looked at her sister and for once, didn't hold any of her feelings back when she said, "I...want to...but..."

Naina whooped and said, "Then you have your answer already. We'll deal with the "ifs" and "buts" later."

Kajal smiled weakly and said, "To be fair, I don't think I asked a question."

Naina giggled and replied, "Well it's time for you to ask one then."

Kajal looked so confused and out of place that Naina said, "Let's go for a walk. Clear your head a bit."

Author's Note: Hi guys! Chapter 26 is on its way in a few minutes. :) - S