Chapter 22

Katara faced off with another student. He bent some water in front of him, then froze it to ice and shot it at Katara weekly. She easily caught it and tossed it aside, picking him up with the water under his feet and freezing it. He struggled uselessly. 

Katara, the winner, smiled and turned to Pakku, who was waiting to comment. 

"Nice try pupil, a couple of more years and you might be ready to fight a sea sponge." He released the kid from the ice prison and turned to the others. "Would anyone care for a rematch with Katara?" 

"I'll have a go!" I volunteered. We went back and forth a few times, until we were stopped by Pakku, who wanted to continue teaching. 

"Katara, Kila, you two have advanced more quickly then any student I've ever trained. Especially impressive by Katara, not an avatar, but Kila your doing well too. Katara, you have proven that with fierce determination and and hard work, you can accomplish anything. Raw talent alone is not enough." 

I nodded respectfully and we looked over at Aang, who was playing with Momo. "Pupil Aang!" Pakku called. 

Aang dropped the air ball Momo was riding on to have him fall on Aang's head. "Yes master Pakku?" He asked. 

"Care to step into the sparing circle?" Pakku asked. "I figure since you found time to play with household pets, you must have already mastered waterbending."

Aang shot up with his air bending ans said, "I wouldn't say mastered, but check this out!" He bent the snow around him to form a snowman around himself. Momo tackled him and they fell to the ground. 

Pakku shook his head and I giggled. That was Aang alright. 

~ ~ ~

Later, me and Kuzon were practicing together and we noticed the snow that was falling was black. Not a good sign. We quickly found Katara, Aang and Sokka and were ushered into a war council. 

"The day we have feared for so long has arrived." The tribe leader was saying. "The fire nation is on our doorstep. It is with great sadness I call my family here before me, knowing well that some of these faces are about to vanish from our tribe. But they will never vanish from our hearts.

"Now, as we approach the battle for our existence, I call upon the great spirits. Spirit of the ocean, spirit of the moon, be with us! I'm going to need volunteers for a dangerous mission." 

Sokka lept to his feet. "Count me in." 

"Sokka!" Katara protested quietly. He ignored her as others followed Sokka's lead and stood. 

"Be warned." The tribe leader continued. "Many of you will not return. Come forward to receive my mark, if you accept the task. 

Kuzon glanced at me as the volunteers came forward. I shook my head. "Nah, we're going solo." I told him. He grinned. 

~ ~ ~

Later, me and Aang sat at the castle porch and watched the sea for signs of threat. 

"The stillness before battle is unbearable." Said the leader's voice from behind of. Neither of us glanced at him. 

"We weren't there when the fire nation attacked our people." Aang said. "I'm going to make a difference this time." 

"Kila?" Kuzon's voice made me turn. "Can  talk to you?" 

I nodded and followed him. We walked through the city as we talked. "What's on your mind?" I asked. 

"Jeong-Jeong says that after this battle we have to leave." Kuzon said sadly. "I don't want to leave so soon, but I don't have a choice."