Chapter 1

I woke up to Aang shaking me awake. "We made it! Kila, we're alive!" I sat up quickly. I looked around. We were sitting on an iceberg and it looked like we were in the South Pole. But Aang was right, we were alive.

"We are! Oh, good, Appa and Maya are here to." We both ran over to our bison.

"Wait!" I said. "I think someone's on the other side of this iceberg." I said. We both paused as we heard voices.

"Katara, no! What if it's fire benders?" Said a boy's voice.

"Don't worry so much! You saw them, they're just kids! Oh, I'm going over there!" Said a girl's voice.

We heard footsteps and froze. Seconds later, a young boy and girl came out from behind the iceberg. They just froze and stared.

"Hello!" I said, waving.

"Do you want to go penguin sledding!?!?" Aang asked, his eyes wide with hope.

"Um, sure?" The girl said.

The boy was not so friendly. "Who are you? Why are you here? Are you fire benders?" He asked harshly, glaring at us.

Me and Aang glanced at each other and started laughing. "Do we look like fire benders?" I asked. "I mean, we're air benders. Haven't you ever seen one before?"

Both of them shook their heads. "Wow. I guess you don't get many visitors then." Aang said.

I walked over to the girl. "I'm Kila." I said. "This is Aang, my twin brother. Regrettably I will admit he is older. We are Air Benders from the Southern Air temple, but we left to take a vacation."

"I'm Katara." Katara said. "This is my older brother Sokka. It really sucks to be younger, doesn't it?" She asked. I smiled, laughed and nodded.

"Yeah, but Aang isn't so bad. At least he never teases me. It just sucks sometimes when I have to admit I'm related to him." I told her. Aang playfully punched my arm. "Hey, I said sometimes!" I told him.

I turned back to Katara. "Is there somewhere we can stay? Just for a while." I asked hopefully.

She nodded. "Yeah, my village is-" She said, but was cut off.

"No! Katara, they're probably fire nation spies! Air benders? The world hasn't seen them is over a hundred years!" Sokka said angrily.

"A hundred years?" Aang asked. "But we were in Ohmashu just last week! We were with our friend Bumi!" I nodded.

"I think we would have heard if Air Benders were back." Sokka said.

"Back?" I asked. "We never went anywhere!"

"Kila, how long do you think you were in that iceberg?" Katara asked, a worried look on her face.

"I dunno." I said. I glanced at Aang. "A few days?"

He nodded. "Sounds about right." he said.

"I think maybe more like a hundred years." Katara said. "Think about it. You don't seem to know about the war with the fire nation, or the Air Bender's disappearance. Both of which happened a hundred years ago."

"Impossible." Aang said. "Do I look a hundred and twelve years old to you?" He asked her, but he and I both knew something. It probably was true.

"Kila? Aang?" Katara asked. "This question is forbidden in our tribe, but I have to ask. Do you know what happened to the Avatar?"

Both of us shook our heads. "We knew people who knew him." Aang said. "But we didn't meet him. Sorry."

Sh nodded sadly. "Common, then. I'll take you to my home." Sokka started to protest, but she cut him off. "I forgot to tell you." She said, glancing back with a glint in her eyes. "I'm a water bender."

We both stared at her in amazement as she put her hand out and bended the water in front of her. She made small waves, but we still were really impressed. "We've seen water benders before, but rarely." I told her. "Are there others in your village?"

She shook her head. "Sadly no. I'm the only one left."

"Hey! Did anyone notice that the boat is gone?" Sokka said. We looked around. It was nowhere in sight.

"That's ok!" Aang said. "I have Appa and Kila has Maya! We can fly you home!"

Sokka muttered something, but we weren't paying attention. We ran over to our flying Bison and woke them up. "Common, Maya!" I said. "Let's fly!"

"Appa!" Aang said as his Bison woke. I laughed as Appa used his tongue to life Aang into the air. Katara and Sokka just stared. I offered Katara my hand as Aang did the same to Sokka. Katara accepted my hand, but Sokka refused Aang's.

"No way am I climbing up on that beast!" He said.

"What, your just going to wait here for some other magical beast to come along and save you?" Katara said, rolling her eyes. "You know, before you freeze to death?"

Sokka looked like he wanted to argue, but excepted Aang's hand, being left with no other choice.

"Yip yip, Appa!" Aang said.

"Yeah, common Maya, yip yip!" I said. They both got up and headed toward the water and jumped, but they landed not in the air but in the water.

"That was really amazing." Sokka said sarcastically.

"Their just tried." Aang said defensively. "Just give them a little time, and they'll be soaring through the sky, you'll see!"