Chapter 4

"Aang!" I said happily as he burst out of the water, creating a hurricane and smashing into the ship. Katara and Sokka couldn't help it, they came running down and onto the ship. I turned around and landed, ready to fight. Aang was still in the Avatar state, and I could be too. The invite rest in the back of my head. 

I accepted and turned into a full fighter. Me and Aang were one, literally. I couldn't control my movements, but I didn't need to. I could bend every element. We fought back to back, making the army back up and retreat. I won't deny it, the feeling felt amazing.

Too quickly it was over. Aang fainted, and I had to lean heavily on my staff. Katara caught Aang before he hit the ground. "Aang, are you alright?" She asked.

 "He'll be fine." I said. She looked worried but nodded. 

Seconds later Aang woke up. "Nice fighting." I told him. He smiled. 

"I did have help." He said. I smiled and helped him to his feet. 

"Appa! Maya!" I called. The two bison flew over and landed on the ship. 

'Wait a second." Sokka said. I looked over, half on Maya. 

"Yes...?" I asked. 

"Who's the Avatar? You or Aang?"

I sighed. "Come on." I said. "I'll tell you the story on the way. We are going to the northern water bending village."

*    *    *    *    *    *    *    *    *    *    *    *    *    *    *    *    *    *    *    *    *    *    *   *    *    *    *    *    *    *    *    * 

The story starts the day we found out. we were called into the meeting hall. It was our birthday, our 12th birthday. They told us Aang was destined to be the Avatar. 

"What about Kila?" Aang had asked. 

The main monk shook his head. "She was never suppose to be born. I'm sorry, but it's the truth. No Avatar has ever had any siblings before. We do not know what will happen to her." 

I had then asked, "Well, will I at least be able to travel with Aang? I've always wanted to visit the world." I had said the wistfully, which the monks didn't like. 

"Aang is the Avatar! He must travel alone! You being there will only distract him!" He said, irritated. 

I thought he didn't mean it as an insult, he was just trying to teach me. But that stung. So far, he had called Aang an all powerful Avatar, and all I was was a mistake and a distraction. 

"So?" I snapped. "Maybe that isn't for you to decide. Maybe I don't need an adult to tell me right from wrong any more!" 

I was a rebel, and we all knew it. I couldn't follow orders to save my life. I always did things my own way, and the monks hated it. 

"Enough!" He scolded. "Tomorrow, Aang will leave to go to the water nation! You will stay here and become an airbender, like you already should be doing!" 

That was the last straw. I stormed out of the room, Aang muttering an apology and following. 

"Kila, wait!" Aang said as I snapped out my glider and jumped off the ledge. He followed me as we flew off toward our rooms. 

"Kila, maybe they're right. Maybe you should stay here-" I know now that Aang was only trying to help, but I was too mad to care. 

"Aang, if you believe that, then go be they're Avatar." I said quietly. 

'No, I didn't mean-" He started again. 

"What? Didn't mean what? To agree with them in calling me a distraction, a mistake? I now know why I have no friends! Everyone thinks I'm a mistake! Maybe I'm not meant to be an airbender!" I yelled. "I should just leave. No one would notice. No one would even bother to care or miss me." 

"I would. You know that." Aang said.

"Would you? Honestly? And yet you are fine with leaving me here? Make up your mind!" I yelled at him, irritated. 

"I can't be the Avatar." He said quietly. "They're going to transfer me, and then separate me from you."

I nodded,and looked out the window. It had started to rain. lightly, but I could tell a huge storm was on its way. 

Later that night, I found Aang sneaking out with Appa. "Aang, where are you going?" I yelled through the wind. 

"Kila, don't follow me!" he called back. 

"You are not leaving me!" I yelled, whistling for Maya. 

Well, you known the rest. 

*    *    *    *    *    *    *    *    *    *    *    *    *    *    *    *    *    *    *    *    *    *    *    *    *    *    *    *    *    *    *    *   

 "So, you two are both Avatars?" Sokka asked when I finished the story. 

"Not exactly." I said. "I'm more of a half-Avatar. If Aang died, the next Avatar wont wait for me to die before it is born. And I can't go into the Avatar state unless he is in it. I can still learn all the elements. In fact, I learn quicker then Aang. The monks said that is because it is my job to make sure he lives, but I never trusted them anyway." 

They nodded as we flew off. I hoped we would reach civilization soon. We were running low on food, and Appa and Maya eat loads, especially when they fly. 

Then, hours later, Katara yelled, "Look! An island!" I looked where she was pointing and saw she was right. "Let's go then!" I called to Aang, pointing. He nodded and we headed for the island.