8

I was talking to Bella the next day during lunch since Edward was missing. I was told that he went hunting with Emmett today.

"We're going to the First Beach tomorrow if you want to go?" Bella told me. I was sitting with her, Jessica, Angela, Mike, and Eric. "You can ask Edward, too."

I looked at her for a moment, so I'm mostly just the messenger. She was hoping I could get Edward to go with me, though I knew he wouldn't. His family made a contract with the Quileutes pack, part of that meant not going on their land. It also meant that the Quileutes could kill me if they knew I was trespassing.

"I would, but I have plans already made tomorrow. Sadly I can't back out on them," I told her.

"That's too bad," Jessica said. "We're all going to be so disappointed you won't be there."

"What are you doing tomorrow that you can't skip out on?" Angela asked me, everyone ignoring Jessica's sarcastic tone.

"I'm going to visit family," I lied smoothly. Actually, that doesn't sound like a bad idea.

"I'm sorry you won't be able to make it," Angela said.

I smiled at her. "You guys can tell me all about it on Monday."

"What about Edward? Do you think he can make it?" Bella asked me.

"I'm not sure, Bella. I think his family made plans for the weekend," I told her.

"Well, haven't you talked to him? He's barely talking to me anymore," Bella said, and I could hear the disappointment in her voice.

I pretended to let out a sigh. "He's not my boyfriend, so he's not my obligation. You would be wise to think the same."

"She has a point," Jessica commented. "He's not showing any interest in you, Bella. Just give up already."

Angela shot her a look. "Stop being so mean. I think it's cute that Bella has a crush on Edward. Besides, maybe they will happen."

"Not to be mean, but I have to agree with Jessica," Mike told Bella, and I could see the hope on his face.

"There's just something about him," Bella said.

"I think it's just because he's so mysterious," Angela told her. "His whole family is."

"Maybe," Bella agreed quietly. 

I looked around the table, noticing everyone was staring at her. I touched Bella's shoulder lightly. "Come on. I think what you need is some air before class starts."

Bella didn't say anything but nodded her head. When we got outside, she shot me a grateful look. "Thanks. I feel so uncomfortable talking about Edward with them, but not with you."

"Why's that?" I asked her.

"You're like Edward and his family. You're nice, but you're still just as mysterious as them." Bella said, her cheeks turning pink from being so honest with me.

"You're too sweet, Bella," I said.

She shook her head. She doesn't think that highly of herself, that much was obvious. We didn't say anything else, just stood outside of the school until the bell rang, and we headed to our classes. 

I met with Edward the next day. I called Joseph, talking about me coming for a visit, and he told me that he was planning a visit with me sometime soon. That he couldn't wait to see me or meet the new coven I made friends with. I told Edward all of this while we went for a walk through the woods near his house. I just apologized to Carlisle and Esme for the scene I caused at my last visit, and they both told me there was nothing to forgive.

"So, we'll get to visit the man that made you?" Edward asked me.

I nodded my head. "I already told him he's not allowed to hunt anywhere near Forks, so you don't have to worry about that. He'll be visiting soon, I think. He didn't tell me when he's planning to come, I think he's wanting it to be a surprise."

"Well, I can't wait to meet Joseph," Edward said.

"I spoke highly of you." I smiled at him.

Edward grimaced. "I don't think there's much of me to praise."

"There's plenty to praise," I told him.

Edward grew quiet for a moment. "I think I might have hurt Bella's feelings when I called her and told her I couldn't go to the beach with them."

"She'll be fine. You'll get to see her on Monday," I said.

"I wouldn't be so sure of that. The weather is forecasting a sunny day Monday, and I believe Tuesday, too." Edward told me. "Since it'll be a long weekend for us, we're going to Alaska to visit family. Would you like to join us? We'll be back sometime on Monday or Tuesday."

"When will you leave?" I asked him.

"Most likely as soon as I am back home," Edward said.

"Well," I said slowly. "Since it seems as though I don't have anything else planned, I will come with you. Only if your family doesn't mind me coming along."

"I brought it up with them earlier. They don't mind," he reassured me, and without even having to ask, we both headed in the direction of my house.