13

That Friday, I found myself talking to Edward on the way to lunch. In the cafeteria, I could see Bella sitting with her human friends, and not the Cullen's. Which surprises me.

I must have been staring at Bella, because Edward said, "I told her I was leaving after the third period with Alice."

"Are we not friends? Can she not sit with me if you're not there?" I questioned, clearly annoyed. 

Edward laughed, and I followed him outside to his car. "Are you jealous?"

"Not of you, if that's what you're wondering. But, I'll be honest, I'm jealous of her. You spent all day with her yesterday," I pouted.

"Well, I was going to ask if you wanted to come over this Sunday. There's a storm coming, so we're playing baseball." Edward told me.

"It's been years since I played baseball," I told him with a smile, and I felt my smile suddenly falter. "Is Bella going to be there?"

Edward shook his head. "She'll be playing with people that she doesn't even know are vampires, so I don't think it's a good idea."

"I thought you were going to tell her that you were a vampire," I admitted to him.

"What! I would never do that! I would be putting my family at risk! I would be putting you at risk, Audrey!" Edward said, gripping my arms, his voice rising.

"You care about me, don't you?" I asked him, my voice soft.

He wrapped me in a hug. "I care about you very much."

"I'm touched," I told him, pulling myself out of his arms. "But there's still the fact that Bella seems to be in the picture."

"She's not really still in the picture," Edward said, sounding like a normal teenager, and I couldn't keep the smile off my face.

"What exactly do you mean by that?" I asked him.

"While we were talking yesterday, I mentioned that we were better off as friends. I might have also mentioned that Jacob would be a good match for her," Edward told me with a smile.

"Why would you do that?" I wondered out loud.

"For one, we would be better off as friends. I understand that there could be a very bright future with us, but I also understand that trouble seems to follow Bella everywhere. I would be spending the next few years constantly being her bodyguard. And Jacob would be a good match for her, he could protect just as well as I could, and they could have an even better future together." Edward explained to me. 

"How could he protect just as well as you? He's just a human," I pointed out.

Edward shook his head. "I'm going to tell you something that very few know. Jacob comes from a long line of shapeshifter's, wolf shapeshifter's to be more precise."

"Is he one?" I asked, my eyebrow raised.

"I have no idea." He shook his head again. "If I ever came across him, I would know. The smell of dog lingers on them if they are, and I would be able to read his thoughts. The problem is, I've never met Jacob before."

I smiled slyly at him. "Well, it's about time that you do."

"What do you have planned?" Edward asked me, a ghost of a smile on his face. 

I was already walking away towards the cafeteria. I flipped my hair, and called over my shoulder, "You'll see! I'll call you tomorrow!"