14

On Sunday morning, Joseph appeared at my door. I looked at him in surprise.

"Joseph? I didn't expect you here so soon," I said, letting him inside.

He smiled at me. "Well, I just so happen to have a surprise for you. It should be by later this evening. I was hoping to meet the Cullen's that you spoke so highly of."

"Well, they're suppose to have plans tonight." I told him.

"Surely they can cancel?" He said.

I laughed. Joseph always thought he was worth dropping your plans for. He thinks very highly of himself. "I'll call them, and see if they would mind getting together."

While I called Edward, I watched Joseph. His once long, brown hair, was now cut short in a modest style. His eyes glowed red from a fresh meal, and he was wearing a new grey suit with a silk tie.

"Hello?" Edward answered the phone.

"Hey Edward, Joseph is here." I told him. "I know we were suppose to have plans for today, but he wants to meet you and your family, and I'm not sure how long he's staying."

Edward grew quiet for a moment while he talked to someone, I'm assuming Carlisle. "We can play baseball another time. Come on over."

I hung up the phone, and looked at Joseph. "You ready to meet the Cullen's?"

"I was made ready," he said with a laugh, and running, he followed me to the Cullens house.

The whole family welcome Joseph with smiles, which didn't at all surprise me. Joseph was his usual self, polite and well mannered.

"So, what do you do in Salem?" Carlisle asked him while we sat in the living area.

"Well," Joseph smiled proudly. "I just became mayor."

I wasn't too surprised by that either, it was his goal for the past few years, and I knew he would get what he wanted. The Cullen's seemed impressed.

"How do you do it? How are you able to constantly live in Salem?" Carlisle asked.

Joseph shook his head. "I don't. After so long, before the humans can start getting too curious, I fake my death, or I'll just leave suddenly. I'll come back after I'm sure the town has forgotten me, during that time I travel."

"What do you do for money?" Esme asked him.

"I try to stay in politics as much as I can, but I've saved quite a bit of money over time, so I never worry about money too much." Joseph told her politely.

"Where have you traveled?" Edward asked.

"Quite a few places," Joseph said. "France, Italy, Greece, Japan, England, Germany, and so on."

Edward's face grew thoughtful for a moment as he looked at Joseph. "You've met the Volturi."

Joseph looked at him in surprise. "I have. How did you know?"

"Edward is able to read minds," Carlisle explained to Joseph, looking proud. "Alice is able to see into the future, as well."

Joseph looked impressed. "Those abilities must come in handy for you and your family."

"They have so far," Carlisle said.

"You have a surprise for Audrey," Edward said into the silence.

Joseph looked at him wearily. "I hope you won't give it away. I also hope you guys don't mind having the surprise come here?"

"That's no problem at all," Esme reassured him. "When will her surprise get here?"

"It should be soon," Joseph said, looking at his wristwatch.