15

I came to school the next day with Edward, who offered me a ride. He said I was too upset to drive, which made me laugh. Hello, I'm a vampire. How I feel doesn't effect my driving.

"Have you heard from Joseph?" Edward asked me during lunch.

I shook my head. "No, but I'm sure he'll call in a few days."

"What are you going to do about Trevor?" Edward said, giving me a hard look.

"Nothing," I told him. "He probably left with Joseph anyways."

Edward looked at me for a moment, but became distracted when he seen Bella. I held back the growl that I felt coming up my throat. Bella's my friend, and I shouldn't be jealous of her. Besides, from what I've heard, things are going good between her and Jacob.

"She looks happy," Edward finally said.

"Are you okay?" I asked him.

"I'm fine," Edward said. "I'm happy for her. Jacob seems to be doing her some good."

I looked at Bella, who couldn't seem to help but radiate happiness. "She seems to be doing good. So, does that mean you're over her?"

Edward laughed. "Are you jealous? Because I can reassure you that you have no reason to be."

"I was just curious, but thank you. I really needed to hear that." I smiled at him gratefully.

Taking me by surprise, Edward grabbed my hand and held it. With a smile he said, "I have to be honest with you Audrey, I was going to pick you all along. I don't know why I got so confused, maybe because I was expecting just Bella, not you. But when you came along, I got to know you, and I knew I found who I wanted to be with."

"I'm more than happy to heat that, because I want to be with you, too." I told him, lightly squeezing his hand.

"Are we having a heart to heart moment?" Rosalie interrupted.

"We were," I said.

"What's wrong?" Edward asked her.

Rosalie looked at him for a moment. "The Quileutes caught a vampire on their land, and assumed it was us." I noticed Rosalie was talking more to me than to Edward. "Carlisle explained that we haven't broken the treaty, that another vampire must have crossed onto their land. I don't think your friends have left just yet, Audrey."

"I don't see why they would have stayed," I said. "Joseph just became mayor, he has to go back to Salem. Trevor though, I'm not quite sure. I don't see why he would stay knowing that I don't want him here."

"He seemed pretty determined to get you back," Edward pointed out.

I rolled my eyes. "He hardly knows me anymore. He'll get over it in a few days. Give it time."

"I'm not so sure," Edward said slowly.

"Well," Rosalie said, already starting to walk away. "I just thought you two would like to know."

I would have been just fine not knowing that Trevor was still here. I would have liked to be blissfully unaware.

"Audrey!" I heard my name being called in the parking lot after school, and turned to see Bella jogging up towards me.

"Hey Bella," I said.

No matter how much of a shield she was, she couldn't help the blushing in her cheeks. "I,uh, wanted to apologize for the other night, with Jacob. I don't know what came over him. He was just fine before you two showed up, then he all of a sudden got sick."

"How is he now?" I asked her.

"I don't really know. He hasn't talked to me in a few days," Bella mumbled.

I looked at her for a second. "Are you two doing okay?"

"I thought we were," she sighed. "Now I'm not so sure."

"I'm sure you two will be fine," I reassured her. "Just give him some time to get over whatever he has."

Bella looked down at her feet, and fiddled with the straps on her backpack. "Yeah. Well, I better go. I'm in charge of dinner tonight." And she walked away towards her truck.

As soon as she left, Edward pulled up in his car, and I slid into the passenger seat. "What were you and Bella talking about?"

"Jacob," I told him.

"What about him?" Edward asked me.

"I think he's in the process of changing, if he hasn't already. He hasn't been talking to Bella, which has her worried. Poor thing," I said.

Edward frowned. "I hope he doesn't push her away."

"Do you think we should talk to him?" I asked him.

"I don't think that would be a good idea at all." Edward shook his head.

"But it wouldn't hurt to try," I said.

"I wouldn't worry about it so much. I'm sure everything will be okay," Edward told me.

I leaned my head against the seat. "I just don't want her to get hurt."

"Now you're starting to understand how I feel," Edward said.

"I always thought she was rather fragile," I agreed with him. 

Edward nodded his head, and smiled at me. "You want to come home with me?"

"I suppose," I said.