Juxtapositions and Probabilities

welcome back! Wow, it's been years, literally. To those who waited three years for me to update, I apologize immensely and I do hope that you will continue to follow this story as I continue it. My writing style has changed so I hope that fits well with you all. Well, I won't keep you for long. Please comment and vote as that will be very helpful. Thank you again for reading and I hope you enjoy this long awaited update!!!

~~~

Alice // chapter two

T H E juxtaposition of my placement in an advanced math class given that it's my least favorite subject is beyond impressive. It came easily to me; I only wish I liked it enough to pursue it as a career.

I walked into the classroom with immense energy fueled by anger. I don't know why I'd gotten so heated; so wounded up as if those words spoken out of bitter had any true meaning. I sighed as I grabbed the seat in the farthest back and took out my notebook and pencil.

As more people swarmed into the surprisingly grand room, I chose to whip out my phone as a distraction. I didn't feel like making uncomfortable eye contact with anyone who stared at me in question, which will most likely be almost everyone.

The ring of the bell snapped me out of my hazy focus on Instagram. Letting out a soft sigh, I locked my phone and looked up to the front of the room.

A tall and slim woman stood up front, her crossed arms intensifying the sophistication her whole being exuded. Her eyes roamed over the class, which to my surprise, was all the way full. When her eyes landed on me, they lingered for a while until a look of curiosity crossed her features.

"I'm guessing you're the new student?" she spoke, her voice loud and clear.

My mind went blank for a second before I could muster an answer. "Uh yeah."

"Your name?"

I scratched behind my ear, discomfort settling in the pit of my stomach as I felt the entire classroom staring at me, waiting for my answer. I willed myself to not look at anyone, but the teacher. "Alice."

"Welcome to Davidson High," she smiled, "the Thunderbirds are proud to have you."

I responded with a smile of gratitude, not wanting to speak any more than I have to.

I'm guessing the teacher got my point, or she just didn't really care much about the 'new student' because she got right on ahead with the class.

After a few minutes homework discussion and me acting like I knew what the hell they were talking about, Ms. Weiss focused her attention to me. "Alice, are you following with what we're talking about?"

I blinked. "Sorry?"

"I meant were you learning about probabilities at your old school?"

Oh, that. "No."

"Hmm," her eyes started to roam the class once more as she lightly hummed. Her eyes then lit up as if she'd found the person she was looking for. "Jace."

For the first time since I'd walked into this classroom, I allowed my eyes to look around the room and to the guy Ms. Weiss was talking to. But I couldn't really spot him. She was looking directly at a group of guys and this Jace could be anyone of them.

But then he spoke. His voice was gravelly modulated, giving you this feeling of need to listen to him talk. I took in a large breath, using my new sense to locate this Jace.

Wait. It can't be, can it?

And that was when my eyes locked onto Jace, or as the label, I'd earlier given him, Mr. King.

You have got to be kidding me.

"Jace, would you please mind assisting Alice in probabilities, get her caught up to where the class is at momentarily?" Ms. Weiss said with a pleasant smile that made her seriousness recede in a positive fashion.

Without looking at me, Jace answered. "Of course."

That was not the attitude of the guy I'd just met before class. That guy had been obsequious, willing to give up his voice to be this person everyone adored. A leader of those who wanted, needed, someone to follow.

However, this guy, he seemed domineering, but in a fitting sense. The way he responded to Ms. Weiss was respectful, self-aware rather than arrogant.

Maybe I'd gotten the wrong first impression. Or there was something deep going on with him.

I've never been wrong with a first impression. Except this one time I thought this lady was pregnant and energetically excited, only to find out that she was just not pregnant.

I almost wish that hadn't been funny, it still seems so cruel.

Anyways, Ms. Weiss told me to wait for Jace after class to talk about schedules and then resumed to giving the class another round of homework since almost everyone didn't understand how to do the previous homework questions.

When the bell rang about twenty minutes later, I'd almost sprinted out of that class. But Ms. Weiss's earlier words arose and thus I sat back down, waiting for the class to empty.

Just as the last person left the class, I sensed movement to my side. I abruptly turned to see Jace taking the seat to my left.

He let on a soft smile, looking as if he was using it to try and break the ice. "Hey, Alice, right?"

I could be rude to him, I realized. I could be really cruel and maybe even bitchy. But that wasn't how I wanted to do this. I didn't want to be so sensitive over something that seemed so little and irrelevant to who he really might be. Maybe, this time, around, first impressions shouldn't account for that much of my judgment.

I could feel myself staring at him and I could see how uncomfortable my undying gaze was making him. Thus, I quickly retreated and offered a softer smile. "Yes it is, and it's Jace?"

His discomfort seemed to dance around his head for a while as he responded. "Uh, yeah," he nodded.

I wonder if he recognizes me.

"So, how exactly do you want to do this?" I asked, deciding to cut right to the chase.

"Uh, hold on," he said before unlocking his phone and observing it closely. I'm guessing he was checking his calendar. After a quick moment, he turned his eyes back to mine. "If you'd like we can start today, and we can come up with a schedule for later then, if that's okay with you."

"Yeah, that works for me," I shrugged,"so the library?"

"Well this library closes right after school," he smiled a bit bigger this time, "but we can meet at the Central Library downtown."

"I think I can work with that," I weighed the thought, before giving him a nod.

"Alright then," he said, getting up from his seat. I followed close behind, quickly gathering my things. "Let's meet around 6?"

I nodded as we exited the classroom and stopped before the hallway. "Main entry?"

"Main entry," he nodded, "I'll see ya."

I smiled as a response, standing there in a stance as I watched him walk away. I didn't know how to comprehend this light feeling that swam within me. Though this strike of caution floated around in the back of my head, I didn't know how to take it and I couldn't bring myself to begin to understand how to resolve it.

So I decided to ignore it and walked into the hallway to my next class.

The river of questions could wait another hour.