Nobody Matters Like You

Alice // chapter forty-six

"W H A T the hell are you doing with her?" Tanya, of course, screeched. Jace nearly moved an inch, letting her get a good look at what we were doing. Her eyes were wide in alarm and she moved towards the bed slowly, her large belly well hidden under the large cardigan she wore.

Nevertheless, Jace was still a gentleman and he moved off of me, pulling me up with him in the process. "Why does it matter to you, Tanya?"

She scoffed loudly, the disbelief in her eyes beyond evident. "What do you mean why does it matter to me? You're my boyfriend, Jace! What the hell is wrong with you?"

Jace shook his head, his hand landing on his waist as he looked at her. "You know, when you promised that you'd changed, I was stupid enough to believe you. I was stupid enough to fall for you again. How could you do this to me? No, actually, forget me, how could you do this to Alice? I willingly fell back into your arms, but Alice-she did nothing. How cruel could you be to destroy someone so innocent?"

"What are you talking about? And who are you calling innocent, the girl that dumped you twice for the dumbest reasons anyone's ever heard?"

"The baby is Damon's, isn't it?" He spat, the anger in his voice gradually boiling. Tanya stood there, the shock in her eyes freezing her entire body. But he continued, "And you were planning on breaking Alice and me up from the start. How can you lie to me about another baby when you lied about the first one?"

"Wha-" She started, but Jace was too frustrated, too hurt to let her speak. It was clear he'd had enough.

"I know Adam wasn't real, Tanya. You lied to me about him, because you thought I was leaving you," He took a step towards her, a break of sadness appearing in his tone, "I would've talked about it with you, tried to fix whatever was wrong in our relationship before irrationally breaking it off; you know that. You didn't have to lie about anything, let alone a baby. What's even worse is you letting me believe that I killed our baby. You broke me over and over again with that reminder, accusing me of killing him whenever an argument didn't go your way. I'm just honestly so confused; are you not human? Do you not have feelings...or a heart? How can you do that to someone and not even blink an eye of shame?"

Her lips parted, the words seeming so close to be said, but she held them back. "I'm sorry."

Jace blinked, pushing his fingers through his messy hair as he let out a soft groan. "You can't be serious, Tanya. After all of that, all you have to say is sorry? What about Alice? You trapped her into this mess for no reason. What do you have to say to her?"

I wanted to stop him. I didn't want an apology from her. I didn't even want to hear her voice. I didn't want her anywhere near me, near him, near us. Her entire being was destructive and she avenged to destroy anyone who threatened her desires. That's what she did to Jace and to me. 

"I have nothing to say, Jace," Tanya responded, the clarity of her voice suggestive of her incapability to care about how she affects others with her horrid actions.

I almost spoke up, but Jace beat me. He seemed unable to give up on the girl who wanted to destroy him. "Tanya, think about it. Why did you do this? Why are you still doing this? It can't be because you wanted me; you had me. I was all yours for so long. Even when I came back to you, you were still lying. What's your motive?"

She stared at him for a long second before bursting out in laughter. "Why are you trying to psychoanalyze me? Whatever happened, happened. And if you're going to choose her over me again, then so be it. Your loss."

"I'm not psychoanalyzing you for me. I'm doing it for you. I'm trying to help you. Don't you get that? No one can be with someone who's as closed off as you are. The nature of your manipulation, constant dishonesty and distrustfulness are not one where a healthy relationship can grow. Even Damon won't be able to stay with you for long. As much of an incompetent dick he is, he's still a good person. If I'm remembering correctly, all the things he would do for you, the way he would look at you, the dirty glances he would give me, just everything put together with what I now know, it all points to his love for you. He's in love with you, Tanya. And trust me, with this attitude, you'll lose him in a blink of an eye," he said slowly, the patience in his voice surprising even me. I couldn't find a trace of his previous anger in his tone. He seemed to pity her. My eyebrows arched in a question of his actions. He was handling this all much better than I'd expected, much better than I'd handle it, actually. 

Tanya shook her head fast at his heavy words, the tears building in her eyes. When they finally fell, Jace reached out to pat her shoulders. I, on the other hand, stood back watching her with curious eyes. I felt like she was still trying to play him. 

"I can't believe you're letting me go, Jace," she whispered, wrapping her arms around his waist and pulling him into a tight hug. She sniffed but gave me a distasteful look behind his back. "Please don't go."

Was I watching a high school soap opera or something, because what the fuck is this?

Yeah, there was no way in hell I was letting her pull him under her spell again. I walked up to where they stood and pushed her arms off of him, pulling him from her and to my side. He looked to me instantly, questioning my actions. I gave him a tight smile. "Look, babe, I know you think she's worth redeeming or whatever, but you and I both know redemption is only possible if she wants it as well. And from my point of view, she doesn't seem to want it. I don't think you should waste your time trying to convince her she's worth a millionth chance if she's not going to at least try to be worth it and prove you right. I think it's time you take a step back and let the leaves fall where they may. You need to let her go, Jace," I reached up to caress his stubble, earning me a soft smile, "it's time."

He swallowed hard, surprising me by trusting my instinct. He gave me a nod and turned to Tanya. "I think it's time you go," he said, speaking with a certain sternness I've never heard in his tone. He seemed to have believed everything I said and that simple fact brightened up my heart more than words can describe. And as I watched it dawn on Tanya's face that she's finally lost him, I realized that we were both free. Jace and I can finally be us without having to worry about her actions and how she would find a way to involve herself in our business. It was all finally over. 

As soon as she left and I heard the front door slam shut with her anger, I kissed Jace with the uttermost passion than I've ever kissed him with. He responded fast, lifting me off my feet and placing me on the bed, resuming to the position we were in before we got interrupted. 

"I love you so much," I whispered when he moved to lay soft kisses along my neck. My breaths shortened in height the mix of feelings I felt when he looked up to me. 

He cupped my face with his right hand, tears welling in his eyes as he smiled at me weakly. "You have no idea how much you mean to me. Nobody matters like you, love. You're my world. And maybe I'm too young to be saying these things. Who cares? I know that in my heart, you and I belong together. Whatever happens, my heart will always be yours. I will always love you. Always."

And before his lips reconnected with mine, I whispered, "Always."

***

A/N: Welcome back! Thank you for reading and I hope you enjoy this really late update lol. Please don't forget to leave a vote or a comment; your feedback means the world to me. I'll see you guys next time!

P.s. how do you feel about this story so far, especially the main characters?