Alex's POV

Chapter Two

I finished unpacking at around six o’clock, collapsing onto my bed. It had been a long day of moving boxes and finding items, but my room was finally finished. I sat up, picking up the photograph on my bedside table. I brushed my finger across it, remembering that day. It had been my twelfth birthday, and my older brother Tom had taken me to a baseball game. Tom’s arm was around my shoulder, and we were both grinning like fools, dressed up in head to toe baseball attire. It still stands as the best day of my life. Only a few weeks later was the worst day of my life, one I didn’t care to remember. I put the picture down, sighing. Tom was dead now, and I was left on my own. That was a couple of years ago, but the memories of him in our old house had become too much to bear, prompting us to the move we had just made.

I headed to the bathroom that adjoined my new room, opening up the top drawer in the counter there. It held my secret friend- my only friend- my blade. I locked the door behind my just in case, sitting on the edge of the bathtub. I lifted up my shirt, exposing my battle-scarred hips. Tom would be so ashamed of me, but I couldn’t stop…

I pressed the blade down, pulling it in a clean slice across the top of my hip bone, producing a thin red line. I added two more, then hid the blade again and collapsed into my bed, hoping to sleep away my worries.

I woke up at quarter till seven, worried about my new school. I hadn’t exactly been Mr. Popular at my old school, so why would Dulaney High be any different ? Things were fine up until Tom died, but then everything changed. I started pushing my friends away, and I started struggling with my sexuality. I was openly bisexual now, but that didn’t help the friend situation. But things were different now- I had a new start, a clean slate.

No one here knew about Tom, or my cutting, or me being bisexual. Not that anyone knew about my cutting anyway, but in theory.

I drove to school early, nervous that I wouldn’t be able to find any of my classes. Ms. Porter in the front office was in the process of handing me my schedule when someone else entered the otherwise empty room. Ms. Porter introduced me to a stunningly good-looking kid my age- Jack. He was a new kid too…how lucky could I get ?

Jack was tall and skinny, with gelled up dark hair with a blonde streak through it. He was different from the normal ‘hot guy’ persona, and he was wearing a Green Day shirt- quality music taste on top of it all. I figured out we had three classes together, and my stomach started doing a weird flip motion. The kind you get when you have a crush on someone….but is it even possible to crush on someone you just met ?

I had to admit, Jack was awesome. He was outgoing and funny, and he happened to like the same bands as me. He was quite literally perfect.

Jack kept me entertained in my classes- by cracking jokes or chatting with me, or in the case of fifth hour, where we sat across the room, I could stare at his perfect face.

By another stroke of luck, Jack and I were to share a locker. I honestly couldn’t believe it, that fate brought this amazing human being into my life, especially now. I felt like maybe Tom was watching over me, saying- “Here you go Alex, here’s something good in your life.” I hadn’t been this lucky in…well, ever.

I was on the verge of fangirling when I found out Jack lived right near me, and I almost praised God himself when Jack suggested we walk home together. I agreed right away, and I ended the school day by walking out with a friend.

I was aware that I was being kind of shy and reserved, but the last thing I wanted was for Jack to think I was weird. Enough people already thought that… I tried to throw in some casual questions as we walked, wanting to get to know more about him. When Jack asked me if I had a girlfriend, something told me to trust him, and I told him the truth, “No, and I uh, don’t have a boyfriend either…” He looked at me, eyebrows raised. “You’re-” “Bisexual,” I finished for him. Jack stopped me, and I almost panicked and ran away. That is, until he uttered the words

“Me too.”

 ***Comment and tell me how you're liking it ? :) Updates will probably be every few days, and I'm not planning on doing the events twice in each POV every time like I did here, it was just a one time thing. Sorry this chapter is a little shorter, by the way.