Jack's POV

Chapter Seventeen

I asked Alex out on Halloween, his favorite holiday. I had given him a chocolate bar, and when he opened it, the white inside of the wrapper read “Will you go out with me ?”

And now he was my Lex.

That was two weeks ago- now we were into November, with winter break coming up soon. My therapy was going terribly-simply because I was an arrogant asshole who refused to say much. Honestly, I thought it was hilarious just how mad I could get my therapist by simply staring at him and refusing to speak. It really unnerved him…Was it helping me get out of sessions faster ? Probably not. But was it worth it ? Totally.

Today was a Saturday, but unlike previous Saturdays, I wouldn’t be spending it in the therapist office. It had snowed a good foot the night before, so my appointment was cancelled. Lex and I were going sledding and ice skating to celebrate. We walked along side by side, heading to the nearest park with a hill and a pond. Alex refused to let us get driven there- he was big on ‘getting the full experience.’ He loved winter, and he really went all out. Holiday lights, hot chocolate, fire place, cuddling…Not that I minded.

“Jacky ? Can I ask you something ?” Alex was looking at me with wide, molten eyes. “Yea, sure babe.” “How is your therapy going ? Are you…getting better ?” He sounded tentative, and I knew he was afraid to ask me about it. “It’s going…alright. But yeah, Alex. I’m getting better.”

Lie.

I directed the attention away from myself, “How are you doing, Lex ?” He turned to me excitedly, “Didn’t I tell you ?! I’m three weeks clean !” I stopped, engulfing him in a hug, spinning him around. “That’s fantastic, Lex ! I’m so proud of you !” And I was, I really was proud of how he was progressing and getting better. He was certainly stronger than I was. We started walking again, and Alex continued on, “Yeah, ever since that day you were in the hospital…I stopped. I didn’t think I could do it at first, but I did it for you.” I halted him again, looking at him seriously. “No, Alex. It was all you. Your strength, your willpower. I love you.” I kissed him softly on the lips, and then on the forehead. “Now let’s go !”

“Aleeex,” I whined. “It’s cold.” “C’mon babe, one more time. Pleaaase ?” Alex was begging me for one last lap around the pond, but I was cold, tired, and my ice skating skills were less than impressive. Meanwhile, my better-looking, skinnier, more talented boyfriend skated around the circle with ease. Woah, when did I get so bitter ? Alex stopped in front of me, holding his hand out and grinning irresistibly. I took it of course, and we started out slowly as I wobbled along beside him. I tripped and fell, pulling him down with me. He landed on top of me, his hair falling in his eyes even under his beanie. “Jacky.” He kissed me on the forehead. “You’re perfect.” He planted another kiss on my nose, and then my lips. It wasn’t long before we were full-on making out. The world seemed to fall away- I didn’t feel my butt going numb, or the cold ice beneath me. I didn’t feel the snowflakes starting to fall, or the chill in the air. I didn’t hear the footsteps approaching us either.

Alex shuffled off of me and stood up, holding his hand out for me. I struggled to stand, ungracefully shoving my skates underneath me so I could balance. It was then that I noticed we weren’t alone. Two guys stood on the edge of the pond, about ten feet directly in front of us. I knew they were a couple by the way they held hands. Each guy was a complete contrast to the other, much like Alex and I. The guys were both short with longer hair, but there the similarities ended. One had black hair and pale skin, with striking blue-green eyes I could see even from where I was standing. The other had shoulder length brown hair and a nose ring, and he looked to be of Latino descent. “Hi !” I called out, feeling cheerful and friendly after my make-out session with Alex. I tugged Alex with me, walking toward them. “Hi, I’m Jack and this is my boyfriend, Alex.” The one with the brown hair spoke- “I’m Vic, and this is MY boyfriend, Kellin.” He looked adoringly at Kellin, then spoke again. “Sorry for staring, we were just, uh, kind of admiring you guys. You two look like you have a great relationship.” Vic looked down, blushing. “Thanks man. Sorry to skip out, but we have to head home. We’re kind of about to tell our mom’s we’re together…” I told him. “Oh, you guys haven’t come out yet ?” Kellin asked, confused. I shook my head, but Alex answered. “No, they know we’re both bi, but not that we’re together…yet.” They both nodded in understanding, “Good luck guys. See you around.”

Alex squeezed my hand as we entered his house. Our families would be gathered for dinner tonight, so we figured now would be a good time to announce our news. “Mom, we’re home !” Alex called. She summoned us to the dining room, where the food was just being set on the table. I cleared my throat to get everyone’s attention, and they all turned and stared at the same time. All eyes immediately went to our interlocked hands. “Um, Alex and I…we’re a couple. We’re dating.”

Our parents shrugged, “We know.” “What ?!” I cried. It had taken me so much courage to get up and tell everyone, even though Alex’s dad already knew. My mom spoke, “Isobel and I have already talked about this. Mothers know these things.” I shook my head, sitting down while Alex grinned goofily.

“Dinner was great, Isobel.” I lied with a smile. Sure, a great way to make me fat. I had managed to apply all my methods of distraction, and only get away with eating one piece of meat and potato. That would have to do.

After dinner, Lex made us hot chocolate and we headed up to his room for a much-needed cuddle session. I was still pouting after the whole dinner ordeal, and some alone time with my boyfriend is just what the doctor ordered. I climbed under his covers and waited as he searched around his room for something. “I have a surprise for you,” he said, as he continued rummaging around. He waved a paper in the air triumphantly, then walked over and handed it to me. “Here.”

I opened it up, and read the title.

“Therapy.”