The Princess Wannabe: Knowing Your Safe

• Dedicated to Brody Moore

Yes I am well aware I haven't updated in like a week, yes I am also aware this chapter is extreamly short. I am so so sosorry! Things have been hectic, but I'd also like to take the time to dedicate this chapter to my friend, Brody- who's birthday happens to be today. HAPPY BIRTHDAY!! Anyways I aploigize for the short chapter and the wait. The reason it is so short is because I couldn't go anywhere more with the chapter so because I'm still in a writing mood, I'm going to try and upload another chapter. Ok again sorry, anyways, enjoy,

~Skittlez

Chapter Nineteen

~Knowing Your Safe~

I walked down the stairs rehearsing for the dismissive ball that I was surely going home at in the nest two days.

They were making such a big deal out of it. Making all the whines be tested, bringing in the best chefs, ladies and dukes from all over were coming and it was driving me bananas. I was dying to get out of the tight fitted dresses, and to be able to go ride a horse or to go see something other than meeting some duke.

As soon as I had gotten home yesterday I had been dragged around getting tailored and fitted, I'd had not time to go see Derrick, hadn't even had time to Nat or Teash.

Fitting the dresses, rehearsing manners, learning what all the cutlery was for, tasting meals, tasting whines, it was getting utterly ridiculous! 

I just wanted to sit down for ten seconds but every time I tried that I would get dragged off by Sue and her best-friend Suzanne. As I took each step, Lady Harriet would grudgingly criticize my posture or even just where I placed my foot.

I took another step, growing irritated. "That dress doesn't really suit you, what happened to all the pink dresses I had Silvia place in your wardrobe?" she asked razing her eyebrow.

I just shot her this stare that said 'You bring up that and I will not hesitate to choke you to death.'

She flinched a bit but got the message. "Straighten your back more, a lady must never look as though she has a hunched back." She scattered me and motioned for the servant on the left side of me, Felix to straighten my back for me, then she motioned for the servant on the right side of me, Adrian to place 2 thick books on my head.

I huffed, "Is all this necessary? This is only a dismissive ball, there's only another eleven to attend!"

She looked at me in disbelief. "Don't use attitude a lady must always look polite and innocent."

I rolled my eyes and took another step only for me to slip on the freshly moped marble stairs and land on my bum. "Don't fall! A lady must always look graceful and elegant!"

"Graceful and elegant my ass." I mumbled getting up and walking to the top of the stairs.

"Don't cuss, a lady must always use words of power and seduction." She stated winking.

I made a look of disgust, "That's just skanky."

"Excuse me?" she asked her mouth dropping wide.

"I'm sorry didn't you understand?" I said in a baby voice. "I said, that's. Just. Skanky."

She shot me daggers, "A lady should never consider anyone aye 'skank'."

I laughed at the hideous look on her face, "Stop being disgusted in you, it's better to accept who you are and leave the horrified expressions to us." 

She gave me an 'intimidating' look and I just shrugged it off. "From the top she yelled."

I began walking down the stairs again, "Back straight! Head up! Shoulders angular! Don't lift your feet up too much! Smile! Show teeth! Ewe, don't show teeth!"

"Oh shut up!" I yelled just about ready to punch her in the face.

She gave me yet another horrified look and I just smiled, "A lady should always be kind to each other, despite all the tension and hate between each other."

"A lady should never do this; a lady should never do this! Well, you tell me now, should a lady storm out of a rehearsal?" I asked raising an eyebrow.

"A-I huh?" she asked stunned.

"Cause I think I just did." I smiled walking out.

I ran down the hallway desperate to get out of this tight dress, and then I collided with another body. I stood up quickly and noticed it was a girl; she had long curly brown hair and greenish-blue eyes. She was average height and had full cherry red lips.

"Oh my gosh! I am so sorry, I should watch where I'm going!" she said breathlessly and I laughed at her, and she just rolled her eyes at me and laughed too.

"Hey, I'm Lady Evaina Esmeralda." I introduced myself using my formal name.

"Duchess Sian Sandilands, my father's Sir Riley Harold, I took my mother's maiden name so people wouldn't ask questions." She said pleasantly and I giggled again.

"Here let me help you up." I said holding my hand out for her to grab and she gratefully took it.

I chuckled a bit as she swayed and she death stared me. "Well I got to go," she had panic written all over face, "They're coming." and with that she dashed away and I shook my head.

I walked back to my chambers and into my bedroom, collapsing on to the bed. I picked the heart-shaped box from my bed side table and stared at the silver heart-shaped locket, and stared it. Maybe if I stared hard enough, I would magically know what this clue meant? Yeah not going to work, Evaina.

I groaned in annoyance.

I studied the beautiful engravements on it and, I huffed in annoyance. It would have something to do with the 12 ladies of court right? I brushed it off and then something crossed my mind.

I hadn't seen Derrick for three days, I was wandering wether or not he was busy too. I hated this 'lady' stuff... I mean seriously, you had to be seductive and always respect men it sounded like we were pets. Maybe we were? I made a disgusted look.

A mental image of me with a leash around my neck, on all fours barking up at Derrick who held the other end of the leash, shot through me and I grimaced. That wouldn't be pretty...

Then suddenly the chain slipped out of my hands and I watched as the locket smashed onto the hard wooden floor.I dropped to the floor expecting it for damage... Then I realized something, it was broken. A gasp left my lips as I examined it more closely. It wasn't broken, it was just now open. Inside now was a little gem, it was tiny and in the shape of a heart, it was red and a ruby. I stared at in amazement and then realization dawned on me, it was the sign of the ladies.

But where would the next clue be?

I huffed in annoyance. This wasn't fair...

I guess life isn't fair.