Chapter 3

The furnishings were what Danny expected, just an average man's living room. He suspected that Magnum might be a man of class, but he kept it low-key, which Danny liked—a hot, sexual man wrapped in a touch of class. Danny shivered pleasantly as another zing shot through his crotch. A perfect combination.

The faint odor of artists' oil paint hung in the air. So the man wasn't just painting his house. He was an Artist. Danny liked that, too. Although it would have been exciting if Magnum were a sculptor...forging his visions with his hands. Danny's skin tingled at the sudden thought of Magnum's hands on his body—such strong, artistic hands.

He sat down on the sofa as his crotch began to throb with a steady beat. It wasn't every day that someone affected him so quickly and in such a powerful way. Typically, if he liked a guy right off, he imagined having a drink with him, taking a moment to get to know him, let things build up, sexual tension heighten at its own velocity. Magnum was a different story. One look at him and Danny immediately wanted to rip off his clothes and fuck him right then and there. The notion both turned him on and scared him a little. There was a lot of freedom in it—just doing it because it excited him and for no other reason—but that kind of raw, spontaneous behavior could be risky, at best.

He exhaled slowly and nervously rubbed the back of his neck. Was it his own attraction to the man that made him think—hope—that Magnum's proposition involved sex play? The guy hadn't tried to hide his interest in Danny, but it could have been mere casual interest. A lot of people simply liked to look, without taking it further. Danny knew what that was like. Sometimes it was relaxing to just admire from afar, maybe even fantasize a tad bit, without the pressure or fear of being rejected. Not that Danny was often turned down. He was good looking enough—he'd had enough offered dates to know that much—so he was rarely afraid he would be rejected. Even so, he thought as he circled back around to his original train of thought, Magnum might be one of those who just liked to look.

"I didn't keep you waiting too long, did I?" Magnum flashed a genuine—though fucking sexy—smile as he entered the room a few minutes later. He brought with him two wine coolers. "I would offer you a beer..." he handed one of the bottles to Danny. "...but I don't have any. Could never stomach the stuff." He grimaced comically and Danny chuckled.

"This is fine," Danny said. "I'm not a big drinker myself."

"Good to know," Magnum smiled and sat down with a single sofa cushion between them. "Do you go to college?" He twisted the cap off the wine cooler and took a drink.

"I take some morning classes," Danny told him. "Work at the market in the afternoon."

Magnum nodded and leaned back, stretching one arm along the back of the sofa and resting his ankle on his knee. "So what do you want to be? Any career in mind?"

Danny dreaded these questions. If he said no, then he often received a veiled critical look as if he should have his life planned out to his death, and if he didn't then he was just an immature lazy ass. After graduating, he just wanted to relax a little before he entered "the grind" full time. He shook his head. "No, not really," he murmured. He looked at Magnum. "I know, by now I'm supposed have my life on schedule and be setting goals." He shrugged and tipped the bottle to his lips.

"Says who?" Magnum asked. "It's your life. Live it however the hell you want to live it. What works for one person doesn't necessarily work for another. Some feel more secure when they make a plan, others like the spontaneity of taking life one day at a time, never knowing what's around the corner."

Danny smiled. "I like how you think." He shifted on the sofa. "So which are you?"

"I'm an artist," Magnum chuckled. "Our kind are known for being dark and penniless. That isn't achieved by careful planning."

The man was far too likable. Danny had a bad habit of getting attached way too fast. Being a romantic at heart worked against him at times. Danny laughed softly. "A penniless man doesn't give fifty dollar tips."

"True," Magnum agreed. "I guess I don't quite fit the stereotype."

"So you're not dark either?" Danny cocked an eyebrow.

Magnum sighed, a smile playing temptingly across his lips. "That depends on whether or not that appeals to you. I can be dark, if it's called for."

Danny nodded slowly. "So you're emotionally ambidextrous?" he mused.

His observation amused Magnum, awarding Danny with a hearty laugh. "Emotionally ambidextrous. I like that. You're very funny, Danny."

This was not where Danny had expected to find himself when he'd set out on his deliveries today. He wasn't complaining, though. He felt at very ease with this interesting, smoking hot stranger who seemed to find Danny intriguing as well. Was this what "fate" felt like?

Get a grip, man. This meeting wasn't orchestrated by the God's. Don't expect too much.